Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 16, 2011, 04:08 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
Do you think people with 12 cores/threads setups will jump on Linux workarounds to get access to the WUs anyway?
Hopefully not. If that happens wide-spread then you might even see the thread requirements increase.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 16, 2011, 04:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

I just knew this was gonna happen.

I understand the reasoning , but if they want people to fold regular SMP , how about increasing the point values a bit.I just stopped doing regular SMP on my q9450 cause the points were shit.

Old November 16, 2011, 05:05 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
I just knew this was gonna happen.

I understand the reasoning , but if they want people to fold regular SMP , how about increasing the point values a bit.I just stopped doing regular SMP on my q9450 cause the points were shit.

I think there are changes afoot in the points system coming up too, but when is anybody's guess.

We will probably just see some slightly bigger SMP units, with a higher K factor. Marstg noticed as much as well.

edit: I have booting the folding rig into Windows for the first time in ages (June 1st I believe). I am chewing through some regular smp units to get a feel for these guys again as I have been doing bigbeta for ages.
Fold for team #54196

Last edited by chrisk; November 16, 2011 at 05:12 AM.
Old November 16, 2011, 06:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

Well at least they are going to implement 'bonus' points on regular smp too.

Old November 16, 2011, 07:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

they just started doing it, rolled out some new WUs also, see my post here not getting bigadv WU's?
Old November 16, 2011, 08:35 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
Well at least they are going to implement 'bonus' points on regular smp too.

Smp has had bonuses for at least a year or two now.
Old November 16, 2011, 08:46 AM
Rookie

You could just wait for this chip to come out.

Knights Corner is the first commercial Intel MIC architecture product and will manufactured using the chip maker's latest 3D Tri-Gate 22nm transistor processor. It will feature more than 50 cores and sport compatibility with existing x86 programming model and tools, Intel says.

I wonder how much it will cost? It is supposed to be released the first half of 2012.
Old November 16, 2011, 09:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't understand why they would even bother making any changes at all, isn't this supposed to be able the work and being done? if more WUs are done that better so why would they make it harder for people to help out, it just doesn't make any sense at all to me.
I woke up this morning and noticed that both my quad and 6 core are sitting idle not sure what is up with that and have no idea how long they have been that way. I rebooted both but for the last 20 minutes of looking off and on at the .hfm.net it just shows purple ( gettingworkpacket).
Sure I would like to have higher numbers that is the fun part but also I want to contribute to the cause.;
With these changes it screws up my idea of having a both storage media server and folding machine all in one
Old November 16, 2011, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Shadowmeph, probably the issue is that some people are trying to cut corners, lured by the big bonuses of bigadv units, and while the overclocked CPUs were powerful enough to finish the job, probably a lot of units got scraped too because of the instability of the said machines while creating o shortage for the machines that needed no modifications to complete them. The first bunch cutting corners were the owners of core i7 quad cores (all families with their 4cores/8threads) overclocked 3.8GHz and up. The second bunch is made of the members of "4.0 GHz and up" club Thuban owners together with the core i5 2500k@4.5GHz gang. All these guys are running after bigadv because of the bonus, leaving regular SMP units to guys like me and you that have not got such a powerful hardware and it creates a high discrepancy in the results. Maybe they got more than enough simulation results for one type of activity but they still need other data processed as well. So, by dramatically increasing the requirement for big adv, they force all the aforementioned gangs to do what is required now, to output the simulation results they need. But I have one question here : who will decide what unit you get? If you have an old client it doesn't know of the new changes? How will that be done? The new clients will be aware of the new changes or how will that be done?
Old November 16, 2011, 09:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I guess I understand the Cores to Threads difference that should be true cores , I guess I am just a little annoyed because my AMD 6128 CPUs will be here anyday and now they are talking about changing things lol