Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 15, 2011, 04:26 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
Yes, well it does read 16 cores, not threads...
Its is certainly threads/logical cores. Pande has clarified that point. So a HT 'core' still counts. 8 real cores with HT would qualify if it can meet the deadlines. The simple core count alone won't be a guarantee btw...

edit: here is Pande's explanation:
Quote:
Sorry for not being more clear in the post. It's 16 physical cores in terms of speed (to make the deadlines), but since the client just looks for logical cores (and can't tell the difference between logical and physical cores), the client hard minimum will be 16 logical cores (if we made the client minimum 32 cores, then there would be cases of people with 16 physical cores not working). Since this is a bit confusing to say, I tried to stress the speed needed (16 physical cores), but as before, the key determining issue will be making the deadlines (especially since some people often spoof the number of cores the client detects anyway).
That was a pretty confusing clarification lol. But yes, its logical cores. HT will work.

Quote:

Does anyone else think they might be shooting themselves in the foot with this though? I mean, there will be way less total work actually being done; not thinking about the points perspective, but just in that the WU's will be smaller and less complex. Plus extra time taken to send and receive data when it could be used for folding (admittedly not that much).

I understand the point of bigadv units is that they give point bonuses because they're actually "worth" more from a research data standpoint. And they want less of them coming in?

EDIT: Also, if Stanford has trouble with Intel's hyperthreading accounting for extra threads, I hardly think they should view an AMD Bulldozer module as two cores.
I think the bigadv was meant to only be for the top-end machines. The huge amount of 'bigadv capable' machines now probably means that GPU and regular SMP work is not being done.

We also have to consider that there has been a hack available that tricked the client into thinking that AMD Thubans had the 8 cores required, and were not always meeting deadlines. I wonder if this had anything to do with this.

In the end, I do look at my two 6-core/12 thread 4GHZ rigs and am a bit disappointed. I myself have always understood that folding requirements change. I'll still get lots of science done, but I won't get the same points. It was a good ride while it lasted.

I just hope that folks don't get discouraged from folding because of this change. If you have a wicked bigadv folder right now, you will be affected just like everyone else. You will still be competitive, and will still get some great science done.
Fold for team #54196

Last edited by chrisk; November 15, 2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old November 15, 2011, 04:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well, i'm glad the SR-2's are still able to get bigadv units.. which I think is the reasoning for having the bigadv, for big, powerful server/dual socket systems.

I understand that they probably want more science going towards the regular smp clients + GPU's.. but I know for sure that they'll lose folders because of this, which is kind of counter productive to what they want to accomplish as a whole.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old November 15, 2011, 04:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Good explanation Chris, I never really considered that they weren't getting enough people crunching smp units... And well, GPU units too, I'll be cranking that up too. Literally. The 4.2 CPU and GTX 580 on one Boreas loop puts out a ton of heat. Time to open the window!

I'm just a newcomer and still haven't gotten a single bigadv unit yet so I don't have much to be disappointed about lol. Kinda think they should reset the points though haha give me a chance here ;)
Old November 15, 2011, 04:51 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Last time, multi-p boards got the axe - remember the bigadv bonus nerf? Yeah, about 50k ppd less on the 6904. But just like this change, this means everyone will see less ppd, so you will still be competitive.

As far as why? PJ needed more regular SMP WUs folded. Plain and simple. By upping the minimum core requirement and making the deadline more agressive, those with less-than-spectacular rigs which were folding bigadv will now fold SMP WUs. Unfortunately, the 970/980/980x are chips more than capable of meeting the requirements, output some great ppd - but still, will need to follow the new guidelines.

I totally understand your point Chris, but the last point nerf didn't stop me folding - actually, I added my 2p afterwards...

Fold on peeps.
Old November 15, 2011, 04:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Big change, but I can totally understand where they are coming from, ty for the explanation Chris.
Old November 15, 2011, 06:22 PM

My System Specs

Has folding@home performance been posted anywhere on the net of the 2p/4p Interlagos yet?
Old November 15, 2011, 06:25 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I've seen nothing yet.
Old November 15, 2011, 09:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Has folding@home performance been posted anywhere on the net of the 2p/4p Interlagos yet?
Seen any for sale?
I come up with blanks searching Ebay.....

Have an A-1 day!
Old November 15, 2011, 11:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DoorGTZ View Post
Seen any for sale?
I come up with blanks searching Ebay.....
They are showing up State side: Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, CPUs / Processors, Processors - Servers, Interlagos

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old November 16, 2011, 01:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do you think people with 12 cores/threads setups will jump on Linux workarounds to get access to the WUs anyway?