Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 11, 2011, 06:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default socket F, 2P folder

My new socket F, 2P folder, is the Supermicro H8DME-2 with a pair of 2.6GHz Opterons 2218 and 2GB of RAM, 1 GB stick per CPU. One CPU is HE while the other is regular series which will make a slight different temperature reading on the sensors. After a few hiccups (I discovered that the PS/2 port for the mouse is dead, and both USB ports on the back also. Luckily i had a USB header with two ports so i managed to get mouse support) I managed to install win7 this morning on it, configured the client and started folding right away. I left for work so only tonight I will be able to post some updates from it. The problem that I have is that both CPU fans, those small units at 60mm, they rev at max speed which was around 7500 RPM. That is untill I installed Speed Fan and after days of unbearable noise I was able to lower them at 30% which is a much calmer atmosphere. Probably the folding perfomance in Win 7 will not be great as my recent foray in Linux based folding (native installation, not VM) proved that there is much more potential under Linux, around 50% more for the same frequency as compared to windows. My problem is how do I master those speedy fans under Linux. As the fans do not seem to be regulated by the mobo itself, it must be a solution there. Any of you guys here has any experience with Linux utilities for system monitoring and control? Also I will have to get the bios updated, will need a floppy and a good floppy disk to do that. Bios update is mandatory as I plan in getting a pair of hexa cores Istanbul CPUs, Opteron 2419 to upgrade the platform. Overclocking will have to be done if Win7 folding will continue as at 1.8GHz the system will not be eligible for bonuses in bigadv folding style. Unfortunately WinXP cannot be installed as I heard it does not support NUMA hardware architecture of multisocket Opteron arrangements. So out the window goes the ntune overclocking. A program called RW Everything apparently can overclock this configuration by modifying the HT clock, and looks kinda complicated, but there is a guide for that too. And given the fact I am an absolute n00b when it comes to Linux and I was still able to fold in a native Linux install following the guides on the internet, I am pretty confident will manage to do that too. The ram will also need to be upgraded at least another 2x1GB sticks as i have seen that Linux SMP folding was quite efficient under Linux, the RAM load was under 900MB while in Win 7 I would get at least 1.5GB.

P.S. : Anyone in Montreal area or around still has a floppy drive and a good flopy disk and will be willing to lend them to me so I can do the firmware update?

Last edited by MARSTG; November 11, 2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old November 11, 2011, 06:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

What about a cheap fan controller? not really the best solution, but simple and effective.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old November 11, 2011, 07:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, this is what I am looking at right now on newegg, I have personal experience with Zalman FAN mate 2 which i used twice before, once on an Arctic Cooler and once it was installed on my modded 5770, I guess this will take care of the noise and be OS independent.
Old November 11, 2011, 08:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Should be able to update bios with a flash drive.
Old November 11, 2011, 08:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

that is the part that seemed awfully complicated, i red all the methods at bootdisk.com. I would still prefer the floppy
Old November 11, 2011, 08:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Maybe this would work?

NCIX.com - Buy Syba SY-USB-FDD External USB 1.44MB Floppy Drive - Syba - SY-USB-FDD - in Canada
Old November 11, 2011, 08:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

What's a floppy

Seriously... use a flash drive, it's a lot safer. Unless you're are using a fairly new drive and disc I wouldn't risk it. The discs tend to deteriorate over time and I don't think I'd want to be using a drive that's been sitting in someone's drawer for 10 years...
Old November 11, 2011, 08:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ah yes, sorry, forgot to tell you, that mobo does not support booting from USB, at least with the present bios. sorry, mea culpa.
Old November 11, 2011, 09:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

try and install fancontrol ( I think it is called that) it is a linux program I am sure that it will be inside the program menu where you can look at a list of available programs
Old November 11, 2011, 09:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

thx, I also found by myself something called GkrellM, could also install that, but i could also go simply hardware, OS independent with the fan controllers, which i think I will. as for bios update, if I don't find anything will pay a PC shop to do it. they ruin it, they pay it!