Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 11, 2011, 10:19 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

i think i still have one floppy drive dying somewhere ... Ill look at that tomorrow morning
• ► ›Server system
• ► › |I7 3820|Asus P9X79|12G G.Skill 1600Mhz|Noctua NH-D14|Corsair Force 3 120GB|LSI megaRAID 9261 8|RAID5 5X 3TB|Corsair AX650|Fractal Design Arc Midi|

• ► ›Twitch
Old November 11, 2011, 10:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

thanks! System got project 7504, tpf 12 mins, estimate PPD 3400. Kinda low, pretty disappointing, will take 20 hours to get a WU done. I think I'll go Ubuntu as soon as I get those controllers. I think one of the fans is damaged because it is whining even at 30% rpm and while I increase the speed of the other one I do not hear any difference in sound. Do you know any good 60mm unit or should I see what newegg has to offer?

The board has fan control but the settings are too conservative for my taste : 4000 RPM for workstation mode and 5000 RPM for server mode. Third option is disabled, this is the one I took, and manually reduced the fan rpm at 40% with Speed Fan. The board also has it's own monitoring software, Super Doctor III, just discovered this morning. Unfortunately does not support resolutions under 1280x1024, didn't really have too much time to tinker with it. And there is no specific driver available for Win 7 for the Ati ES 1000 chip which seems to be a Rage Pro chip. This board is pretty limited for modern times, I think only Linux will work satisfactory on this board.

Last edited by MARSTG; November 12, 2011 at 09:58 AM. Reason: update
Old November 12, 2011, 11:52 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Marstg: Finally, i one i was thinking to have, i don't have it. Sorry
• ► ›Server system
• ► › |I7 3820|Asus P9X79|12G G.Skill 1600Mhz|Noctua NH-D14|Corsair Force 3 120GB|LSI megaRAID 9261 8|RAID5 5X 3TB|Corsair AX650|Fractal Design Arc Midi|

• ► ›Twitch
Old November 12, 2011, 04:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's ok, thx for looking. For the moment I will get those controllers and go Linux see what that will do.

One of my neighbours helped me and got me that cracked formatting utility for usb drives, I created a MS DOS boot disk from win 7, put the newest bios of the board on it and flashed with the latest bios. So now the board is ready for the hexacores! Installed Ubuntu 11.04 and I am only getting uniprocessor cores for the moment. and I cannot start multiple instances.

Last edited by MARSTG; November 15, 2011 at 07:22 AM. Reason: bios flash
Old December 13, 2011, 07:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The heat sinks I have are of this type, (specs here Dynatron Corporation - the leading manufacturer of CPU cooling products.) and because it is too expensive to mod the rig with regular AM2/AM3 coolers, I will simply replace the fans in the heatsinks. Modding it to accept regular AM2 heatsinks would require these brackets (here CPU Fan Retainer Clips - AMD Socket F / 1207). Item is discontinued by Supermicro, tried at local Microbytes, they said even the supplier has no ETA, so they are kinda expensive when shipping from US is factored in. So I have decided to simply replace the fans in the heatsinks and I decided for a model from SilenX, model IXP-34-16, that I can get at directcanada.com and from what I have seen on newegg they have excellent reviews. Question : can I use a PCI videocard in a PCI X slot? Will it work? I have seen a Zotac GT430 on PCI and also a GT520. For the moment this is a work in progress and will be an open air system, but I have seen that an IBM xSeries 235 tower should fit my needs, as mobo is EATX format. If you have any input it is welcome. BTW, it is too late to ditch the platform I paid already 120$ on it with all the shipping and the custom fees, so I would like at least to upgrade it before considering any sale. Also the system has no soundcard, would a regular pci work? Again in the PCI-X slots?
Attached Images

Last edited by MARSTG; December 14, 2011 at 07:03 PM. Reason: work in progress
Old December 13, 2011, 09:14 AM
Top Prospect

just took another read through the thread, seems like a neat little project.

so from what i understand this is going to be a folding box primarily and you are moving to running linux. The specs are a Supermicro H8DME-2 with a pair of opteron 2218 dual core with 1x1gb ram per cpu.

I am actually considering a socket F setup to replace my old file server (Athlon X2 4600) and do some folding.

Can you give some tpf or ppd numbers from your current setup? i see in an earlier post that you're getting 3400ppd in windows, any linux numbers?

I am actually considering the same route for the processors starting with a pair of 22xx, then moving up to 24xx in the future. I'm going to try and stick with the HE series of processors to try make it a lower power folder/home server
Did you look at a lot of different boards before you settled on the H8DME-2? I am trying to find something that will work best for my needs and I was hopeing that it would have SAS onboard as I have a RPC-4216 case that I'm currently using with some cheap SAS cards. It would be nice to get rid of at least one of the ad-on cards if not both.

Either way this is an interesting little project, can't wait for more updates
Old December 13, 2011, 11:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I settled on this platform as it was a sale on ebay very cheap, basically at 55$, plus 30$ on shipping, and because was coming from US another 40$ at the customs. It was intended to run folding under Linux, but I had a bad experience, second time I installed Linux, after a few days all the HDD was written. Might be because I created no partition for the swap so I reverted to Windows again. Basically everything started from another rant of mine to see if I could build a -bigadv machine under 350$ then when I saw this combo on sale I jumped on it. For the moment I retired the platform as the noise from the coolers is a little too much for my ears, but at next pay I will get the SilenX fans and will replace the original fans on the heatsinks and restart it again. Also I will function with Win XP as I can overclock the system using nTune. The platform is based on an nVidia chipset. However all this adventure is not without caveats : along the way I discovered PS2 and USB ports on the back i/o plate were not functional. Luckily the USB headers are. Also the model I have has no SCSi chip, there is an identical model with SCSi. If you want SAS you need to look other model, probably more recent. The rig has an integrated video chip, the ATI ES 1000 which is basically a Rage Pro if I understood correctly. there are no PCIEX 16x ports, only 2 at 8x. Mobo manufacturers should stop implementing physical slots smaller than 16x, make it smaller at electrical interface, but put it physical at 16x. So if I want a modern videocard can only be on PCI or PCIx1. If you want to meddle with socket F and make it wothwhile in present conditions you should look at 4P platforms. But coolers can be expensive, those for socket F are around 40$ a piece. You could get it cheaper by getting those bracket retention clips and installing regular socket AMD2/3 coolers. Also at 4P means you will only be allowed Opteron 8000 series. I have seen recently a big lot of around 80 refurbished Arima boards in 4P socket F configuration, priced at 80$ which is not bad. RAM also will have to be DDR 2 ECC, but this is dirt cheap already. But a 4P socket F with 4 quadcores will make you eligible for -bigadv is just you have to factor in the cost. Let's say you still find the board at 150$, delivery included (still available as I can see and they are more than 10 http://www.ebay.ca/itm/370559653908?...84.m1438.l2649) a Quadcore Opty@2.9 is 100$ ( apiece with delivery to Canada Opteron Quad Core 2.9GHz OS8389WHP4DGI socket 1207 | eBay ) 4GB of ECC RAM DDR2 is 35$, you will need 8GB at 16 cores. The brackets and the coolers another 100$ for all of them. Lastly you will need a modern PSU as the power connectors on that thing are given from a 8PIN connector plus 3x6pin for pcie so another 100$ for that let's say. Luckily a 16x pciex is present so for videocard you are good reusing an existing one. So it amounts to some 800$. You need to think if you wouldn't go cheaper with a more modern socket G34 or C32 setup at this price.
But again if you want to stay only 2P, that is something else. As PSU me I am using an old Antec Truepower 550, I got an adapter to compose the 8pin power connector and it was working fine. I guess the driver for videocard in win7 needs to be installed in compatibility mode as there are no Rage pro drivers for win7, just for Win XP. Also nTune is not working under W7 which is why I will be installing WinXP on it. I am leaving Linux aside as I might want to use it as a regular desktop from time to time. Will also have to get an old soundcard, I just seen on local kijiji one of those SB Live on USB for 20$.

Last edited by MARSTG; December 13, 2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old December 13, 2011, 11:58 AM
Top Prospect

hmm, something to consider, not sure how well that would work into my idea of using it for a fileserver though. that board doesn't have enough ports or slots for ad-on cards to do what i was thinking. also whether or not it would fit in my case. i can fit an eatx board so i think the 4p are to large for what I'm looking at. All I need is a board, cpu's, coolers and ram.
poking around I have found a Supermicro H8DM3-2 (has mini-sas connectors) so that will eliminate one of the add-on cards that I have. Also found some 2216HE's(good enough for now) upgrade in the future. I think i can put it together for around 300

I currently have my eye on some additions to a current platform I have been working on so we'll see if that goes through or not.
Old December 13, 2011, 12:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you can still get PCI-X hardware raid controllers , the 3-Ware/LSI 7000 or 9000 series I think are quite cheap. even with the full 8x port you are ok, you can get like an IBM BR10 or something similar. Your files are on a RAID matrix or you simply have a lot of drives?
With 2 Opterons 2419@1.8GHz I have been told that FAH numbers should be comparable to a Phenom II X6 @ 3.6 GHz so around 12-14k PPD

Last edited by MARSTG; December 13, 2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old December 13, 2011, 01:28 PM
Top Prospect

yeah, it's a 16 drive software raid in linux, i mostly just need(want) the ports, and the backplane in my case for the hotswap drives are mini-sas. I have two cheap sas cards right now(pci-e 8x), they work for what i need. but a board with an onboard controller would be a bonus.

sorry to hijack your thread