Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2011, 02:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbironchef View Post
Maybe if I could get some help with switching to linux to get the extra large or big units I might consider. There is a member on my team that gets like 230K per WU. That is pretty cool! I asked what the secret was and I did not hear a reply yet! I think that person wants to keep it that way. Right now I am trying to fold with the big-adv points but I'm not getting any of those wu anymore. I read that F@H is changing over to new servers and that is why I'm not getting any of those wu. Has anyone heard of this or am I just unlucky not to get the big-adv units anymore? Edit: Dead Things I couldn't agree with you more. Edit: Thanks, 3.0charlie
Plenty of ppl to help get you setup, I see John is helping you so I will stay out of it but if you need any pointers or help you can always PM and we willget you going ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old November 7, 2011, 02:31 PM
Rookie

Good question. My specs are:

Lian Li B25F, Intel core I7 980x, asus p6x58d premium, corsair dominator 12gb, noctua nh-d14, intel 160gb ssd, wd black 1tb sata 6, Samsung SH-S223L, evga 570gtx, corsair hx750. 7.6 Windows Experience Index.

I do not have the rig overclocked. I do not feel the need to.

I also fold with a I7 860@3.4. 8 gb memory, both units have a evga 570gtx that I also use for F@H. Edit: both rigs I built myself and they both have corsair 750 hx P.S.. That's not true, one is a corsair ax750 ps.
Old November 7, 2011, 02:43 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Oh, you'll feel the need once you start reading about the ppd an oc'ed 980x can produce... It's time to oc that chip until it screams, and get a Linux bigadv / bigbeta folding setup. You'll be amazed by the ppd difference. Don't forget though that you need a native Linux install; going the VM route is better ppd-wise than a Windows install, but it will not yield the same ppd as a native 'nix install.
Old November 7, 2011, 02:52 PM
Rookie

Yea, that's not going to happen. My wife uses this rig sometimes to connect to work. I know for sure that she would not be happy. OC is a option but I have not had good luck doing so. I figure if it's not broken don't fix it.
Old November 7, 2011, 02:55 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

It's not a matter of fixing it, it's a matter of making it go faster...
Old November 7, 2011, 03:11 PM
Rookie

I'd rather just leave it alone for now. I will wait till my next build. It will be a lot faster. If ever Intel releases it's next cpu that is worthy. Just to stay on track, why am I not getting any big-adv points? I think I will install linux just to get extra points. Maybe this weekend. I had it installed before and then F@H changed again! I am kinda getting tired of all the B.S. that F@H hands out. I just might quit after 30 million points. I could use the extra money to save for retirement instead of paying the electric bill. I can't decide what I what to do.
Old November 7, 2011, 03:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Make sure you have HT turned on in your bios, you won't catch -bigadv units unless you do as they require a minimum of 8 logical cores. You also need to set the -bigadv flag.
Old November 7, 2011, 03:24 PM
Rookie

SugarJ That has never been a issue before. Has something changed?

This is what I have folded so far. victor/natasha - User Summary - EXTREME Overclocking Folding @ Home Stats I have been folding since, 03.31.07 So as you can see I am getting a little tired.
Old November 7, 2011, 03:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

That's always been a requirement for -bigadv. If you were getting them before and they've stopped coming, it's probably due to a lack of WU's. These multi-processor server builds chew through them in a hurry.

Edit: I will say there's probably something wrong with your setup. I was pulling down 38-40k PPD on my 920 and GTX 570. You should be getting a lot more than 50k ppd with those 2 machines.
Old November 7, 2011, 03:41 PM
Rookie

I agree.