Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   Folding in Linux Faster? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/48041-folding-linux-faster.html)

MikeFallen November 5, 2011 10:47 PM

Folding in Linux Faster?
 
I saw the thread about folding in linux being faster and tried it out, I'm using virtualbox + linux64-fah and my TPF is like 13:38 on regular SMP unit...it should be like 3:30ish. I'm folding on an i7 920 @ 4Ghz

whats going on !?!?!??!

lowfat November 5, 2011 10:54 PM

Because Virtualbox sucks.

Stick w/ VMWare. You want to do this.

Folding@Home - VMWare Player 3.0 and Folding Bigadv Support - LinuxForge.net

MikeFallen November 5, 2011 11:24 PM

ah ok ill try vmware approach vs virtual box

MARSTG November 6, 2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeFallen (Post 565337)
... my TPF is like 13:38 on regular SMP unit...it should be like 3:30ish.

this big a difference? wow. ok definitely linux folder next time

Feanor November 6, 2011 11:32 AM

I'm using virtual box for linux folding, and it is better than vmware in one way: can take 12 cores instead of 8. So my 970 don't get underutilized.

To the OP, get yourslef an affinity management program (i use process lasso 64 bit) and set the vm to all cores and idle priority. This way you should see 100% cpu usage and get TPF that is logical.

lowfat November 6, 2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor (Post 565529)
I'm using virtual box for linux folding, and it is better than vmware in one way: can take 12 cores instead of 8. So my 970 don't get underutilized.

To the OP, get yourslef an affinity management program (i use process lasso 64 bit) and set the vm to all cores and idle priority. This way you should see 100% cpu usage and get TPF that is logical.


What kind of PPD are you getting?

Dead Things November 6, 2011 12:17 PM

SMP performance in Vbox has improved a lot since it was first introduced in 3.0.

MARSTG November 6, 2011 05:34 PM

ok, so i am trying some linux folding right now, never operated linux in my life but I am following some guides and says that i picked up a 6884 project that has 14 days preferred deadline. I have a Ph II @3.2GHz. Is it normal to get that? or I am doing something wrong?

[01:19:29] Completed 0 out of 250000 steps (0%)
[01:23:21] Writing local files
[01:23:21] Completed 2500 out of 250000 steps (1%)

so my tpf is 3 min 52s. credit is 69 PPD. is there something wrong in here?

boggtrotter59 November 6, 2011 05:47 PM

I think you need to let it fold at least 3 frames to get accurate tpf and ppd numbers...

LCB001 November 6, 2011 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARSTG (Post 565684)
ok, so i am trying some linux folding right now, never operated linux in my life but I am following some guides and says that i picked up a 6884 project that has 14 days preferred deadline. I have a Ph II @3.2GHz. Is it normal to get that? or I am doing something wrong?

[01:19:29] Completed 0 out of 250000 steps (0%)
[01:23:21] Writing local files
[01:23:21] Completed 2500 out of 250000 steps (1%)

so my tpf is 3 min 52s. credit is 69 PPD. is there something wrong in here?

It's not unusual for new SMP installs to pick up a unicore wu to start with, that what it looks like happened to you.

It should pick a SMP wu right after that one.

And like Mr. Boggs said the first frames tpf don't mean much...


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:14 AM.