Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 1, 2011, 01:22 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Some help setting up?

So I just got an i7 980, overclocked her to 4385MHz and thought I would try this folding business you all speak of... I got the newest SMP client configured and running as it should be (I think); username with a passkey but no group (as I didn't know what the group(s) here were). So, I suppose I'll need to configure it again and add a group; hope I don't have to type that whole passkey again

Anyway, how do I get into this? Can you point me in the direction of threads or resources, like FAH for dummies? lol anyway...
Old November 1, 2011, 01:54 PM
Allstar
F@H

If God forbid you are still using XP...Right click the smp icon > properties then add the - config flag to the end of the stuff in the target box... click apply. Restart the client and it will ask you all those wonderful questions... add your username, passkey and team number. (54196) if you want to fold for HWC... (highly recommended). Here's a handy guide for Win7:

SMP install guide for Folding @ Home
Old November 1, 2011, 01:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

if you mean team the HWC team number is 54196.
I am pretty new to folding also I just followed the guide here SMP install guide for Folding @ Home
Old November 1, 2011, 02:19 PM
MVP

My System Specs

That's what I was looking for, the team number I guess. I've already run the config, I'll do it again and put that in. I had no problems installing, the guide on the FAH site was pretty good, using Win7. Not sure if I should use the advmethods, what do you guys think?

Also, I'm looking for more general information, like how do I see how I'm contributing, leaderboards etc and I've heard about prizes for folding and stuff, and that there's a folding season, so to speak (winter I'm guessing for the temps lol). Any more info?
Old November 1, 2011, 02:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Stats links are here in the sticky: Hardware Canucks team Stats links

And yes, you should use -smp -advmethods until you complete 10 units, then switch to -bigadv.
Old November 1, 2011, 02:50 PM
MVP

My System Specs

OK, I read that in the HWC guide, so I'll do so once I've got ten units. I'm looking at a guide for setting up HFM.NET and FahMon, but I'm a little confused. Are these essentially the same thing? Do you use both? Do they have anything to do with recording stats, or only monitoring?
Old November 1, 2011, 02:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Use HFM.NET because it calculates your PPD including bonus points. The last time I checked, FahMon doesn't. And they are for monitoring purposes only, although they will keep your personal TPF's and the like on completed units for your use.
Old November 1, 2011, 03:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
OK, I read that in the HWC guide, so I'll do so once I've got ten units. I'm looking at a guide for setting up HFM.NET and FahMon, but I'm a little confused. Are these essentially the same thing? Do you use both? Do they have anything to do with recording stats, or only monitoring?
those pretty much are the same thing I like HFM.net better then fahmon but that is just mpo
Old November 1, 2011, 03:08 PM
MVP

My System Specs

a little confused about the versions, release @ 0.6, client @ 0.7... which to get?

and thanks for the help
Old November 1, 2011, 03:18 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Client 0.7 is for those people using Version 7 of the F@H client. Monitoring with Version 7 is not quite ready for prime time.

If you've dl'd the 6.34 version of the smp client then the 0.6 version of hfm.net is the way to go.