Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   I'll be Folding for "Rose" for a Bit; Donate to Gordon's Stanford server (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/47777-ill-folding-rose-bit-donate-gordons-stanford-server.html)

SwingOP3 October 29, 2011 11:12 PM

I'll be Folding for "Rose" for a Bit; Donate to Gordon's Stanford server
 
Edit by Chrisk:
Full Taoer has a post here that gives info on a donation drive to get a Stanford server in Gordon's name.

Gordon Smitheman and his wife both passed away recently. Gordon was huge in the folding community, and for HWC in particular, he was instrumental in getting us involved in the Chimp Challenge (he believed we could be great competitors in that contest, and we have proven him right).

Gordon folded for all the right reasons, and the community/world is less without him. Had a chance to chat with him a few times, and this is indeed a worthy cause.

Chrisk
--------




This is just an FYI that I'll be throwing some points over to my old team MaxPC for the next little while.

Found out today that the wife of Gordon Smitheman has been diagnosed with inoperable pancreatic cancer. If there is one person whom I could point to that got me started folding and kept me folding for the last two years, it would be this man. He was THEE folding fanboy for Team MaxPC for so many years and is well known in the folding community as he has acted as the team captain for the Chimp Challenge in years past.

There are posts on the MaxPC folding forums regarding the "Bad News" thread from Gordon about the disease as well as a "Foldathon for Rose" thread discussing the amassing of points as a tribute to him and his wife.

My good friend Full_Taoer has posted info on EVGA, [H]ardOCP, Overclock.net, Custom PC and Windows7Forums regarding this sad news. There has been heartwarming support and condolences from all facets of the folding community.

We are a large number of groups on the same team!!

Soultribunal October 29, 2011 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwingOP3 (Post 562586)
This is just an FYI that I'll be throwing some points over to my old team MaxPC for the next little while.

Found out today that the wife of Gordon Smitheman has been diagnosed with inoperable pancreatic cancer. If there is one person whom I could point to that got me started folding and kept me folding for the last two years, it would be this man. He was THEE folding fanboy for Team MaxPC for so many years and is well known in the folding community as he has acted as the team captain for the Chimp Challenge in years past.

There are posts on the MaxPC folding forums regarding the "Bad News" thread from Gordon about the disease as well as a "Foldathon for Rose" thread discussing the amassing of points as a tribute to him and his wife.

My good friend Full_Taoer has posted info on EVGA, [H]ardOCP, Overclock.net, Custom PC and Windows7Forums regarding this sad news. There has been heartwarming support and condolences from all facets of the folding community.

We are a large number of groups on the same team!!


This is the reason many of us Fold my friend. Where the points go matters little, so long as we are all focusing on the same goal.
We lost one of our Pioneers here (Pete) and he has insipired many of us to fold. Very sorry to hear this news, none of us ever want to hear such things...

-ST

Keywork October 30, 2011 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soultribunal (Post 562589)
This is the reason many of us Fold my friend. Where the points go matters little, so long as we are all focusing on the same goal.
We lost one of our Pioneers here (Pete) and he has insipired many of us to fold. Very sorry to hear this news, none of us ever want to hear such things...

-ST

Ditto. I hope all becomes better.

chrisk October 30, 2011 08:28 AM

He was the one who got our team in the Chimp Challenge. This is very sad indeed.

ilya October 30, 2011 08:45 AM

Somebody want to post a link with the foldathon info for interested members? Google just links back here for me.

chrisk October 30, 2011 08:48 AM

This is it:
View topic - Foldathon for Rose - Maximum PC Forums

I have switched my GTX 580 over funtil the 10 million has been reached.

Username is:
Rose

Team number is:
11108

No passkey posted as of yet. Swing or myself can edit the OP with this info when its finally posted.

3.0charlie October 30, 2011 08:56 AM

We all Fold for a reason, or to remember. Once the passkey is known, I'll swap both servers to her name, in her honor.

boggtrotter59 October 30, 2011 10:03 AM

Very sad news... I can just imagine what they are going through.

All my GPU's have been switched over to Rose.

Full_Taoer October 30, 2011 11:12 AM

Many thanks to SwingOp3 for spreading the news here. This is what the folding community is about and I'm glad to be a part of it.

chrisk has a PM waiting over at MaxPC. I'm sure he will share the passkey with trusted users who wish to fold for Rose.

Gordon PM'd me this morning to say that he has shared all of the attention from the various forums with Rose and he says it is helping to lift her spirits. I will add a link to this thread over there, if it has not yet been linked.

On behalf of Gordon, Rose, and the entire MaxPC team, I thank all of you!

chrisk October 30, 2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full_Taoer (Post 562671)
Many thanks to SwingOp3 for spreading the news here. This is what the folding community is about and I'm glad to be a part of it.

chrisk has a PM waiting over at MaxPC. I'm sure he will share the passkey with trusted users who wish to fold for Rose.

Gordon PM'd me this morning to say that he has shared all of the attention from the various forums with Rose and he says it is helping to lift her spirits. I will add a link to this thread over there, if it has not yet been linked.

On behalf of Gordon, Rose, and the entire MaxPC team, I thank all of you!

Welcome to the boards FT....wish it were under better circumstances.

Gsmitherman is one of the folding community's most respected gentlemen. He has brought in many folders over the years and the community owes him a lot. Contributing to Rose's username is a very small gesture.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:56 AM.