Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   Vm linux folding seems allot faster (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/47403-vm-linux-folding-seems-allot-faster.html)

Shadowmeph October 17, 2011 12:01 PM

Vm linux folding seems allot faster

I loaded up opensuse in linux last night on one pc and on my other pc I loaded fubuntu64 bit linux and ran folding on both and at the same time I am running fah6 on on win7x64 on both my PCs and I have to say that folding in linux vm seems to be almost twice as fast

Dead Things October 17, 2011 12:10 PM

I'm sorry you are only finding this out now. I was fairly confident this was universally known.

Shadowmeph October 17, 2011 12:14 PM

hehe well now I know

Dead Things October 17, 2011 01:02 PM

Yeah - it's been like that for as long as there's been a Linux client... Except for that brief interlude when bigadv was only available for the Windows client. Quick overview of the folding hierarchy:

Native Linux > VM Linux > Windows > Laundry.

PerryC October 17, 2011 02:23 PM

VM Linux only runs on 64 bit OS correct? Or can you run it on a 64 bit capable system?

Dead Things October 17, 2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PerryC (Post 558587)
VM Linux only runs on 64 bit OS correct? Or can you run it on a 64 bit capable system?

You need a 64-bit flavour of Linux to run fah, correct. You can run 64-bit guests on 32-bit hosts provided VT is enabled and you're using a relatively modern version of VMware or Vbox.

PerryC October 17, 2011 04:21 PM

Thanks DT, glad you understood what I was asking cause looking at it now I'm not sure what I was asking. Reading and re reading alot of the posts here, especially "Deux", got me wondering if I can squeeze abit more production out of my folder. I would love to put together a 2p folder or two together, but thats not in the cards right now. Squeezing some more production out of it will have to do.

Dead Things October 17, 2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PerryC (Post 558616)
Thanks DT, glad you understood what I was asking cause looking at it now I'm not sure what I was asking. Reading and re reading alot of the posts here, especially "Deux", got me wondering if I can squeeze abit more production out of my folder. I would love to put together a 2p folder or two together, but thats not in the cards right now. Squeezing some more production out of it will have to do.

No probs. No doubt building a new MP rig is a boatload of fun, but as they say "the devil is in the details" - and maximizing production out of existing hardware, especially from a PPD/W perspective, can be a very rewarding enterprise.

edit - I should also mention that I *believe* there may be a performance cost associated with running a 64-bit guest through VT vs. running on a 64-bit host. I have no evidence to back up that claim, just a feeling in my tummy.

stoanee October 17, 2011 04:37 PM

$25 and a two four for whoever comes over to configure my folding rig.......:whistle:

Dead Things October 17, 2011 04:47 PM

Why not just get drunk, give yourself 2 1/2 lap dances and configure it on your own? :punk:

At this point, thanks in large part to linuxrouter, it really is easy to optimize your production.

edit - For up to 8 threads, see here. For more than 8 threads, see here.