Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2011, 05:51 AM
Top Prospect

yep, Folding Forum • View topic - NVIDIA GPU3 Linux/Wine Headless Install Guide there it is.
Old October 18, 2011, 06:43 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks going to give it a read...or two...or three. Linux is new to me so I will have to take a few reads to completely understand it all.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old October 18, 2011, 07:38 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

What linux distro is recommended for a bigadv rig these days? I assume something without a GUI and alot of services disabled.
Old October 18, 2011, 09:28 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Doing some reading on the F@H forums it doesn't look like there is an ATI client via WINE. Might have to be keep my card going the way it is set up now and try some client folding on Linux on my "new" tinker system.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old October 18, 2011, 09:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibz View Post
What linux distro is recommended for a bigadv rig these days? I assume something without a GUI and alot of services disabled.
if you don't want to install Linux and you want to in VM there is linux64_fah which which is very easy to setup.
VMware && Linux bigadv folding
just make sure you read through it
Old October 18, 2011, 09:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
TBH, it doesn't really matter all that much which distro you choose, as long as its 64-bit. So go with whatever you are most comfortable with. For me, that's Ubuntu Server - but that's primarily a point of personal preference. Linuxrouter - the guy who developed the VMware and Vbox folding images Shadowmeph linked to above - also has a fah-customized native Linux install based on Slackware that is pretty easy to get folding. The only problem with his image, though, is that thekraken is not already packaged in, and adding new packages to his image is a little bit tricky. But that only matters for DP/MP boxen. Anyway, here it is: Folding@Home - Native Folding Image - LinuxForge.net.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old October 18, 2011, 12:35 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
if you don't want to install Linux and you want to in VM there is linux64_fah which which is very easy to setup.
VMware && Linux bigadv folding
just make sure you read through it
Thanks for the link, I'm working on getting two folding boxes up when I have free time. I'm thinking I'll use that native linux folding image.

For now I'm still struggling with the picky gigabyte boards, main issue being LLC dropping Vcore massively and blue screening. (>_<) right now I have it stable at 1.47v 4700mhz while idle with the Vcore dropping to 1.34 under load.
Old October 18, 2011, 12:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
1.47v... while idle... 1.34 under load.
Wow! That's crazy LLC!

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old October 18, 2011, 12:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

It's a gigabyte p67a-UD3(not the black P version, but the cheap blue) b2 that didn't make the recall, I picked up for $40. And anybody who has OC'd with a P67A from gigabyte knows its a huge pain.

If your OC fails it gets a bios checksum error and reverts to the original bios that doesn't support internal pll overvoltage. And their Qflash utility won't accept the new bios version so flashing MUST be done using their @bios windows application (which required me to install windows rather than going straight to linux)

I use to be a gigabyte fan but after working with p67 boards I'm going nothing but asus from now on.
Old October 18, 2011, 02:58 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Linux is actually better? I never bothered to try because someone said that Windows had been on even footing ever since the A3 core came out, but maybe I misunderstood.

I guess I'll be setting up a Linux VM tonight to give this a try.