Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 17, 2011, 04:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
Why not just get drunk, give yourself 2 1/2 lap dances and configure it on your own?

At this point, thanks in large part to linuxrouter, it really is easy to optimize your production.
I would but I am rarely home, gonna be a busy winter. My workplace is flooded with my tears from lost production......
Old October 17, 2011, 04:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
I would but I am rarely home, gonna be a busy winter. My workplace is flooded with my tears from lost production......
Hey, so if you're running Windows - just follow one of the two virtualization options I linked to in my previous post, and monitor the machine using logmein. You'll lose production if it freezes, BSODs, or randomly shuts down on you until you can get home and press the power switch - but otherwise you should be able to keep it going pretty much all the time no matter where you are. No more tears!

Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears(7 min. - Original) - YouTube

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old October 17, 2011, 04:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Been considering making my folder strictly linux, but I have never dealt with it before. I was given an old HP tower today by a co-worker (a Pentium D I think), and I have the chance to get my hands on another tower fairly cheaply (in the area of ~$50) so I have the ability to tinker and learn while maintaining my production.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old October 17, 2011, 05:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Everything I know today about Linux, I learned because of folding. I am by no means a Linux expert, but considering I've never read a book or taken a class, I hold my own just fine. I used to run my file server, web server and ftp server under Server 2003. Now those tasks all run using Linux and they require infinitely less babysitting than they did before. It's a bit weird, actually, not having to worry that something's going to asplode on any given day. This whole setting and forgetting thing takes some getting used to.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old October 17, 2011, 05:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

its pretty easy just install linux grab fah and extract it the once it is basically configed all you need to do is open up terminal; and do a ./fah6 and it runs. the thing I am having problems with is using hfm.net to access the vmed fah I just want to play around with this so that when I finaly get all my parts and am up and running I should be able to run it in my sleep lol
Old October 17, 2011, 06:25 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I run the v7 client for my HD5750 so I will have to do a bit more research, can't do bigadv and the gpu folding gets me more ppd right now.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old October 17, 2011, 06:45 PM
Allstar
F@H

Is there any advantage in using native Linux for GPU folding and smp folding (non-bigadv) ? Can't afford any bigadv rigs ATM... would just like to try and maximize what little I have now.

Last edited by boggtrotter59; October 17, 2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old October 17, 2011, 06:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Linux is more effieicent, so in theory there should be an increase in production. Even a few seconds shaved off the tpf can make a huge difference in the end.
Old October 18, 2011, 12:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i don't think there is GPU folding under Linux. Ubuntu is pretty friendly once you get it to fit on your screen, i had some overscan issues when I first installed it, my monitor is a big DLP tv so is not that straight up like a real monitor. I think I will finally run with a X6 1090T 4GB of RAM and a native Ubuntu installation for the bigadv setup. And I might get rid of the vid cards too, they are way noisier for my taste, despite the thing that now in the autumn they run a little cooler
Old October 18, 2011, 05:48 AM
Top Prospect

There have been some people who have run the GPU client in Linux under Wine. I have seen some guides on it, I believe at foldingforum.org