Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   Im looking to Fold 24/7, Need help with Hardware (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/46815-im-looking-fold-24-7-need-help-hardware.html)

CoolHandL September 28, 2011 12:08 PM

Im looking to Fold 24/7, Need help with Hardware

Ive been planning on folding full time for a wile now.

My Main rig is folding when I'm not using it (only when I'm at work)
Q6600 + 5870 + 8GB Ram

I have a HTPC that i fold with when its not in use
Phenom 945 + 6850 + 4Gb Ram

Home Server uses Windows Home Server, i couldn't get F@H to work, its a dual core storage box anyways.

Neither of these are huge producers, but every little bit counts. during the chimp challenge i had these two plus my bedroom htpc (zotac Ion N330) folding 24/7

But id rather have a dedicated Folding Machine that i can run 24/7 that produces. I have practically no budget, so im looking for recommendations on cheap / Used hardware. I can scrounge up some cash but it will be piece by piece. Dual CPU would be great, quad even better. Any Master Folders upgrading and looking to unload Hardware? Any suggestions would be good, I have no preference between Blue or Red as you can see by my above machines.

Thanks

CoolHandL September 28, 2011 12:10 PM

*Edit No Budget means Super Tight Budget

3.0charlie September 28, 2011 02:16 PM

Dual / Quad sockets and 'Super Tight Budget' don't go hand in hand...

Looking for SMP, or GPU folding? Any spare parts already on hand? And we need a budget.

CoolHandL September 28, 2011 02:25 PM

3.0 - i know its a stretch having dual socket and super tight budget, just wondering if its possible going used route.

smp folding
Budget: .$400... $500...$600, really looking at used and AMD options.
spare parts: 2 x cooler master hyper 212+, 500W PSU, hard drive WD 640GB Black
probably have it open air (i'll build a test bench)

dandelioneater September 28, 2011 02:31 PM

Hey, I'm in the process of putting together a new folding machine for myself. My current system consists of an MSI P55 GD-80 with a Xeon X3440 quad core (w/ HT) and 4GB of G-Skill Trident Ram When I get my new system built and working then I'd be looking to sell it off. I get about 27k PPD folding bigadv WU's on it using the windows client. I'll PM you after I have my new machine running to see if your still interested.

3.0charlie September 28, 2011 02:34 PM

It always becomes a ppd/w affair... sure, you could look at what Capt. Vortex has (had?) for sale, his socket 771 dually: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ard-600-a.html

It would definitely output a whole lot more than your ATI GPUs, and power consumption should still be in check. Use Ubuntu as an OS, and it will run bidagv no problem.

Check it out.

MARSTG September 30, 2011 01:48 PM

my foray into this subject proved that at the moment a cheap dedicated machine that can process -bigadv, the best producer, would not be cheaper than 350$, and that is with used hardware. Cheapest route is a dual LGA 771 mobo, you can try ebay for a used HP XW mobo, a pair of matching quad core xeons, and at least 4 GB ram. other route is core i7 920, lga 1366 mobo, 4 GB ram, and very good cooler in order to ovc the hell out of the i7. I7 920 can be had on ebay for around 180, mobo is at least 100$ and 6 GB of ram would be around 50. If you are lucky you can get the combo for around 300$ but you would still need an excellent cooler, Noctua or Xigmatek which are at least 50$, so again nothing before 350$. you can consider GPU folding, GTS 450 is the best PPD/watt producer, or some old 8800GT/9800GT/GTX/GTX+/GTS 250/GTX260 cards. also GTX 460 and so on. Ati cards fare less in PPD production.

you could also try the new SB Xeons, the E3 1230@3.2GHz is 240$ on newegg.ca. take a cheap LGA 1155 mobo and some ram and you are set. But again we come at the 350$ threshold.

CoolHandL September 30, 2011 02:55 PM

3.0 thanks for the input

MARSTG thanks for the input,

Ive used both, high end Noctua air coolers and the Cheap Cooler-master Hyper 212+s and when the Hyper has 2 fans in a push pull it kicks some ass.

To be honest I'm looking at 3.0's Deux, It seems like a great combo, and for $981+tax for the CPU, Motherboard and Ram (since i have 2 Hyper 212+ and a PSU and A spare HDD or Two), its attainable with putting some cash aside. who knows with BD release the 6128 might come down a little.

(I'm strapped because 2 of my best friends decided to get engaged and married this year (1 a six month engagement the other a year), so that's 2 stags and 2 destination weddings + Gifts. tapped me out a bit and by a bit i mean a lot!)

CMetaphor September 30, 2011 03:01 PM

If you can find a quad-socket 1207 motherboard (not easy nowadays unfortunately) I'm pretty sure Dead_things still has his previous Optys for sale. If not, mine are still sitting around unsold from my previous sale ages ago, haha. DDR2 ECC has become quite cheap as well, so it wouldnt take much to fill up the ram slots. Just remember, going 4P (quad socket) means joining one of we, the elite hardware nuts, that have far too much time on our hands (not even sure how many of us there are now, the trend has been growing it seems, lol).

3.0charlie September 30, 2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoolHandL (Post 553679)
3.0 thanks for the input

MARSTG thanks for the input,

Ive used both, high end Noctua air coolers and the Cheap Cooler-master Hyper 212+s and when the Hyper has 2 fans in a push pull it kicks some ass.

To be honest I'm looking at 3.0's Deux, It seems like a great combo, and for $981+tax for the CPU, Motherboard and Ram (since i have 2 Hyper 212+ and a PSU and A spare HDD or Two), its attainable with putting some cash aside. who knows with BD release the 6128 might come down a little.

(I'm strapped because 2 of my best friends decided to get engaged and married this year (1 a six month engagement the other a year), so that's 2 stags and 2 destination weddings + Gifts. tapped me out a bit and by a bit i mean a lot!)

I believe you'll have to jerry-rig the 212+ to fit the G34 socket.