Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   Interlagos or Ivy Bridge Xeon for future system? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/46474-interlagos-ivy-bridge-xeon-future-system.html)

prokaryote September 15, 2011 03:59 PM

Interlagos or Ivy Bridge Xeon for future system?

Hi all,

So I'm contemplating a new folding rig for Q1 next year and wanted to get the expert's opinion. So without further ado:

1. Ivy Bridge based Xeon or AMD Interlagos?
  2. 2 socket or 4 socket MB?
  3. Windows Server or Linux?
  4. $8,000k budget limit
  5. Some other combo?
  6. Limited to 1500 Watts if suggesting a multi MB setup.
  7. Water cooled or air?
  8. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance and happy folding!

-P

lowfat September 15, 2011 04:26 PM

Highly doubt we'll see LGA2011 Ivy Bridge in Q1 2012. If EVGA does an SR-2 replacement for SB-E it may be a great choice, but at this moment we really don't know until we see more SB-E and Bulldozer results.

3.0charlie September 15, 2011 05:02 PM

1.5kW? Really? Take a look at my signature. That 4p setup (32 cores) pulls less than 500w from the wall. 2p and 4p rigs are very efficient folders.

As far as choosing between Team Blue and Team Green, wait. Unless you really like AMD, in which case their existing G34 socket-based boards will be compatible with Interlagos. ppd/watt is great!
Hence why I built mine a few months ago. As for 2p setups, others here can chime in (DT, 10e).

prokaryote September 15, 2011 05:34 PM

Thanks lowfat. Hmm, so IB Xeon out till past Q1. A SB-E does sound interesting, and it is also an unknown and best guess past Q1 if at all?
SR-2 setup about $2500 as well for something that puts out about 160k PPD?

Thanks 3.0charlie, the 4P Tyan sounds enticing as does the Linux. Hard to setup for a Linux total noob? Can't OC by changing Blk speed correct? G34 expandable to Interlagos 16 core...
1500Watts would be for two or more systems on one circuit. The PPD/$ looks good too for the Tyan and the 6128 setup. Costs about $2500 without a case?

-P

3.0charlie September 15, 2011 05:41 PM

Linux will provide the best ppd by far. If going the Windows route, Server is mandatory since W7 can only recognize 2 processors.

I am not aware of a single 2p/4p board that can oc the chips, bar the SR2. Unless you find Extra Spicy chips, then it's another story...
Linux is easy to set up, I've followed the Musky Mix setup over at [H], as did our co-captain LCB001.

900 for the board
1000 for the chips
16 sticks o' ram

Xeven September 15, 2011 05:52 PM

I'm pretty much in the same boat and I'm really hoping to see some reviews soon, at least for interlagos. I'm trying to make do with a single 2600k at the moment but that's no way close to the 5 rigs it replaced :(

So that's what I suggest, just wait for some performance data and actual availability first.

lowfat September 15, 2011 09:36 PM

Please tell me you'll be folding for us when you get this rig together?

prokaryote September 15, 2011 10:13 PM

Absolutely!:thumb:

prokaryote September 18, 2011 04:16 PM

Decided to go with the Tyan S8812WGM3NR R, 4 6128's for now, will upgrade to BD Interlagos in Q1 2012 and may replace my single P rigs with SR-2's if they go on firesale when the BD comes out.

Happy Folding and thanks everyone for the advice!

-P

3.0charlie September 18, 2011 05:05 PM

Great choice, you'll love the board. Ultra stable (not one hick-up since I got mine), and IPMI works great (no dvd burner, no keyboard, no mouse, no monitor: you even have access to the BIOS via the webapp).

Make sure you slap 4 sticks of ram per chip channel for best performance (quad-channel). PSU-wise, my rig never pulled more than 500W from the wall under full load. Which HSFs and case did you go for? I'm using Dynatron A5s - little screamers, them buggers. But they keep the chips at ambiant +20C, while being inside a 932 Advanced. It's in the garage for a reason...

Make sure you add a fan nearby each chip PWMs and the lower, large heatsink (the SR5690 chipset) - they get hot...

Here's a shot:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...6859ccad6d.jpg