Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 18, 2011, 05:25 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks 3.0,

Went with 4 of these NOCTUA| NH-U12DO A3 R
and 4 sets of quad channel memory: 4Gx4|GSKILL F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL. It's not server so I hope it will work. If not, I'll have to return and get the server memory.
Have an Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W Power supply.
No case yet, it will probably sit naked. Thanks for the advice about the PWMs and the chipset. Have a couple of spare fans sitting around and will see if I can jury rig an old CPU heat sink for the chipset...

IPMI sounds interesting, never used it. Is it hard to set up? Is there a tutorial available that you like? Otherwise, I've already
Downloaded Ubuntu desktop 64 bit and can install that. Will follow musky's Ubuntu set-up with Kraken as well, is that what you would recommend? Really like the idea of using the web app to monitor everything.

Very cool setup 3.0! Yeah, I'll be going with electric heat this winter!

-P

Old September 18, 2011, 05:40 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

The Noctuas are great, I'll be using the 90mm variant on my 2p rig. I'm using the same ram (2G variant, though...) so you'll be fine. Just make sure you follow the manual to the letter in regards to slot locations... and you could power 2 of those rigs with that PSU...

IPMI works great: find the ip address that the router assigns to the IPMI server, and log in using the webapp from a remote computer and the IP address. Then you have access to power features, DVD players assignments, and a viewer (using Java). Once powered up, the BIOS will show on the viewer screen, and is accessible.

I'm using 11.04 Server. Follow Musky's Mix with the Kraken, and Langouste setups.

Last edited by 3.0charlie; September 18, 2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old September 18, 2011, 05:57 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Will do 3.0, thanks again!

Old September 18, 2011, 06:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Forgot - make sure you connect an ethernet cable to the proper ethernet port on the board for IPMI to function properly.

48 gigs of ram... I'm running 32, which is already overkill for folding...
Old September 19, 2011, 10:25 AM

My System Specs

prokaryote, i hope you are around to stay. You are likely going to push us in to the top 10 ppd producers.
Old September 19, 2011, 12:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

^^

I'm thinking of doing a similair build for folding on. Depends on the pricing of the interlagos chips otherwise I might just try get 6128's for cheap. I didn't know non-ecc ram worked on that board though; very cool build.
Old September 19, 2011, 09:20 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
prokaryote, i hope you are around to stay. You are likely going to push us in to the top 10 ppd producers.
Hi lowfat! It takes a team of dedicated folders and that's exactly what HWC has!

Old September 19, 2011, 09:22 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post

^^

I'm thinking of doing a similair build for folding on. Depends on the pricing of the interlagos chips otherwise I might just try get 6128's for cheap. I didn't know non-ecc ram worked on that board though; very cool build.
On no! looks like newegg has run out of the Tyan MB's and may discontinue offering them. Wonder if this means a different one is in the works or that they just didn't sell enough of them

Old September 20, 2011, 04:15 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Damn. I came back empty-handed with my own research too.
Old September 20, 2011, 07:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
On no! looks like newegg has run out of the Tyan MB's and may discontinue offering them. Wonder if this means a different one is in the works or that they just didn't sell enough of them
I noticed that last night too. This is purely speculation but, maybe they sent their remaining stock back to TYAN to get ones with the updated bios chips that support interlagos out of the box?