Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 25, 2007, 12:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well.... it completed the second WU and gave me the points for it, but now it's saying that it hasn't been able to complete 1 or 2.

It'd get pretty crowded in a couple of weeks worth of "logged but still reported as failed" WUs.

Guess I'll have to spend some time in the FAH forums this weekend to see if I can come up with some answers.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old April 25, 2007, 01:46 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscout View Post
great! What folding id will you be using here?
srry for the late reply. I will be folding with my nick and I received my new MB today just waiting on a 3rd HD for raid and will start formating. This P5W DH is a thing of beauty btw

and that score 1760 is from one WU. I was getting 13 min on the VmWare server Linux smp client but that moved up to 17 min on the Win smp client.
Hopefully when the beta is over they can tweak the client to get better times.

I've been folding for almost a year now, heres the old team Scratch - User Summary - EXTREME Overclocking Folding @ Home Stats
Old April 25, 2007, 05:46 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
It's still showing one in queue but it's obviously already credited me for it.

I'm getting about 17min / 1%. (And yes I'm running 4M cache).

We'll see how the next one goes.... if it uploads fine should I scrap the install and start again, or not worry about the "failing to upload to server" message as long as the points keep piling up?
How do you know you have a queued wu? from the console or the fahlog.txt?

If you are looking at the work directory files, one of the bugs with the smp client is that files don't get cleaned up. But this should not cause the client to report unable to upload in the log/console.

The count of wu's completed and submitted is printed in the fahlog.txt (and updated in the client.cfg). The log will get moved to fahlog-prev.txt after a client restart if fahlog.txt is bigger than about 50K. So to see from the log whether a wu was uploaded, you might have to look back in the fahlog-prev.

Everytime a wu is successfully uploaded, there should be a meessage in the log with 'thank you for your contribution' message followed by 'number of units completed: ***'

So you should be able to confirm if each completed wu is followed by a successful upload. If it couldn't be uploaded at the time, the client retries every 6 hours i think and it should show in your log.

If that is the the case, then either the wu is corrupted, you didn't set the client to allow >5MB wu's when you configured it, or the work server it was assigned from is down/not accepting.

You can check server status by getting the ip address for the wu's server from you log and looking it up here: Folding@Home server status

Have you successfully uploaded a completed win smp wu yet? If not then your config may be wrong.

You don't want completed wus to sit in your queue too long because if they pass the deadline you will get no points for them, and it will have been reassigned to other machines. Deadlines are 4-5 days depending on the wu.

One thing that helps with debugging is to use the "-verbosity 9" switch on the client so that more detailed info is put in the log.

Can you post your logs here so i can have a look at them.

Also post your client.cfg file.

Last edited by pscout; April 25, 2007 at 05:52 PM.
Old April 25, 2007, 06:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm going to try to add my log file and config as an attachment (gotta look at the config to see if there are any passwords.... I don't remember using one.....)

FAHlog.zip

That's both my current log and the cfg file. I'm guessing by looking at it that the "nobigpackets=yes" might be the problem you were talking about?

It's weird as my point score is going up, even though the log hasn't acknowledged uploading the WU, and in fact keeps trying.

Any ideas?

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old April 25, 2007, 08:28 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well my long awaited Folding prize came from team #33, an X1950Pro So I've put that in my P4 3.4ht machine for gpu folding....... leaving my E4300 for this team, unfortunatly I need to score a small hard drive to load linux for the SMP goodness :)
Old April 25, 2007, 09:34 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I'm going to try to add my log file and config as an attachment (gotta look at the config to see if there are any passwords.... I don't remember using one.....)

Attachment 317

That's both my current log and the cfg file. I'm guessing by looking at it that the "nobigpackets=yes" might be the problem you were talking about?

It's weird as my point score is going up, even though the log hasn't acknowledged uploading the WU, and in fact keeps trying.

Any ideas?
I think your problem might be that you said yes to using IE connection settings.

If that is your current client.cfg it has never been updated with a completed wu count so this client hasn't turned in the 2 completed wus shown in the log. This is also consistent with the log. You have over 3000 points queued.

You can rerun the config by using the -configonly switch on the command line. Stop the client first. Make a shortcut to the client exe and add " -configonly" to the end of the target string. Note you need a blank before the -.

It will take you through the prompts again with your current settings being the defaults.

To test that uploading now works, create another shortcut with just the " -send all" switch.
Once you launch it, it will try to send all queued wu's and then stop and hopefully will give you a thankyou message and increment the # of wu's completed.

Hopefully you can get your first one in before you hit the deadline.

Do you still have your gpu folding? Or another rig going? or someone else is folding under your id.

Last edited by pscout; April 25, 2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old April 25, 2007, 09:41 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DoorGTZ View Post
Well my long awaited Folding prize came from team #33, an X1950Pro So I've put that in my P4 3.4ht machine for gpu folding....... leaving my E4300 for this team, unfortunatly I need to score a small hard drive to load linux for the SMP goodness :)
I will have some more matching to do soon then

I am just catching up on some now ... clsGrinder, Scratch and Myminpins have been busy this week

Last edited by pscout; April 25, 2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old April 26, 2007, 02:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscout View Post
Do you still have your gpu folding? Or another rig going? or someone else is folding under your id.
That's the part I don't understand.... Even if I did have another one of my machines folding for this team, it'd be at best a single core athlon which wouldn't be putting up the kind of #s I'm seeing.

The #s that are showing up, seem just about right for the SMP client which doesn't appear to be uploading.

I'll try your suggestions tonight.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look at it.

Old April 26, 2007, 04:52 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Yes it is strange ... it seems like it is yet another bug in the win smp beta client. Dunno if it has been reported but i have not heard of it.

Once you try out the config change it would be worthwhile to post at
Folding-community.org :: View Forum - SMP for Windows Beta

So that stanford can add it to their list of bugs to fix.

While we don't show up on eoc stats yet, we are on the kakao stats

Kakao Stats - Team Members - Hardware Canucks Forum

and when i looked there i could clearly see the points for each smp wu !
Old April 26, 2007, 02:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

While looking around the FAH forums I found the "CTRL-C" proper shutdown command. (Been a while since I used DOS and I couldn't quite remember what the command was).

Tried it to see if it would clear the "detected 8 improper shutdowns" message and wouldn't you know it.... on start-up all my WUs uploaded properly!

Don't know if I just got lucky and the servers cleared up for me, but everything seems to be working fine now.