Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 9, 2007, 04:43 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Hmm...Please explain- that's a curious statement...
I think that SHack said it best: I see no point in keeping my somputer running throughout the day just to "help" find a cure to cancer or whatnot. Why it may sound crass, I think that helping out the environment will have a larger impact on combating cancer and curing many diseases than running F@H. By using your computer for these tasks, you are increasing your power consumption and thus increasing the amount of greenhouse gases.

Look at my PSU roundup; a computer AT IDLE SPEEDS consumes more than 2 50W lightbulbs, and that is if you have an 80+ PSU like the Enhance. Now when you are folding, your computer is not at idle consumption anymore; it is taking even more electricity. No thanks.

IMO, GPU folding is even more of a slap in the face.
Old March 9, 2007, 06:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Driving your car for a kilometer puts more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than running a lightbulb for weeks, yet we have no qualms about that- I think the benefits outweigh the detriments, although if you were truly a green extremist you could argue that the last thing the planet needs is more human lives to be "saved" ;-)
Old March 9, 2007, 06:26 PM

I drive my car only when I have to. I take public transport pretty much everywhere I can.

Plus, for some people driving their car is a necessity since they do not have access to public transport. Folding isn't a necessity it just makes people feel like they are helping the greater good.
Old March 9, 2007, 06:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

they are...
Old March 9, 2007, 06:40 PM

You are right, they are.
I'm not going to say anything more about this subject.
Old March 9, 2007, 07:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

F@H section is up Team#54196

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old March 14, 2007, 09:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmm am I the only one on the team?
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...&teamnum=54196

Quote:
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
Old March 14, 2007, 10:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I your FAQ, you say to "install the folding software specific to your OS below", but there don't seem to be any choices, unless you're referring to the screen saver, text console, etc etc.
Old March 14, 2007, 10:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah you want the console ver.
Create a Folder named F@H, inside that folder (F@H) create folders named , F@H 1, F@H2, ( however many cores you have thats how many folders you need)
Download the console version to each of these folders (F@H1-F@H2-ect)
Run the F@H exe inside each of those folders you created.
Now do you want to run it as a service?
Yes: this runs F@H everytime you start your computer answer yes when it prompts you.
No: You will have to navigate to each folder named F@H1,ect and start the program everytime you want to run it.

Quote:
Old March 14, 2007, 12:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I just switched my main rig over to this team#, but I don't know if it will switch or if I'm going to have to make a new username for this team.

I'll see if it switches over after this WU is complete.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP