Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 31, 2011, 09:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Right - the ol' nforce HT clock hack. The problem with that is that it only works in Windows. That's bad because the windows client is slower, meaning the rig probably won't be able to complete bigadv units in time. You would need to run Linux to give yourself a fighting chance, but then you won't be able to overclock because the nforce HT hack is not replicable through Wine. Besides, he's over-complicating the hack. Ntune 2.5 or 3.0 would do the trick.

edit - You can ask him to try it: http://downloads.guru3d.com/NVIDIA-n...load-1267.html. Only works on 98SE/ME/2000/XP/2003 though.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!

Last edited by Dead Things; October 31, 2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old October 31, 2011, 03:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

thanks for the info, will re post it. We need all the help we can get. How much ovc can we achive with nTune for these CPUs?
Old October 31, 2011, 08:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
thanks for the info, will re post it. We need all the help we can get. How much ovc can we achive with nTune for these CPUs?
As with all things overclocking, YMMV. But ntune is basically a front-end for the exact same hack, so it should be the same either way - just a lot easier to use.

Old November 1, 2011, 12:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

but with the limitation of Win XP. Should we then try Win XP 64 for better memory management or even get a win 2003 install? for the other software RW everything they had a guide on how to use the utility, pretty well explained. Well i guess experimentation needs to be done, once I will have the platform on hand, and upgraded will be able to give first hand results and impressions. ( In the mean time the CPUs just dropped 10$/unit on ebay, says the seller has 300 of them)
Old November 1, 2011, 09:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
In the mean time the CPUs just dropped 10$/unit on ebay, says the seller has 300 of them
Linky?

Old November 1, 2011, 06:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Opteron Six- Core 1.8GHz OS2419WJS6DGN socket 1207 | eBay

I received my 2P folder this week, and while I started it, have a look in the bios, btw one cpu is regular batch while the other is HE series which makes for the different temps I noticed in bios, can't install an OS yet. I am only held back by the fact that it won't work with a USB mouse, so a ps2/usb adapter is needed. Thinking about upgrading the CPUs and the fact that you told me cpu scaling is linear for folding when we speak frequency and number of cores. So I am wondering : I can choose from quad cores running at 2.9 GHz or hexacore running at 1.8GHz. but while two quad cores at 2.9 would equal a hexacore running at 3.86 that would best the couple of hexacores @1.8. I will run the client under Ubuntu, just explored that avenue this week. Found out that in windows you get around 7k ppd while under linux you can get as much at 10k at the same frequency. So what is your advice? 2 low hexacores or 2 high powered quads? also the quads are 8000 series, but I guess they would work fine in a 2p platform? The latest bios does not mention anything about supporting hexacores of 8000 series only for supporting 2000 series. What is the safest route to go? Also, WinXP64 would have less overhead then Win 7? I am also interested about the noise : while only in bios those little 60mm fans spinning at 6000 rpm were making quite the noise, and while not at max rpm, but i guess I would have more noise for the quads?
While the OCN website is still in maintenance, I was able to glimpse the post for a few mins, it seems the guy is getting in between 30 to 40 k PPD, I assume with ovc on the cpu at 2.08GHz under windows 7. I would say is not bad at all. So I think this make my option going with the hexacore units @1.8 GHz, install xinxp64 run ntune, OVC a bit and fold away. BTW for a value of 85$ on ebay, customs taxes were 42$.

Last edited by MARSTG; November 10, 2011 at 08:14 AM.