Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 23, 2011, 10:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
i found the Xeon X3440@245 on newegg.ca, it has 4 cores/8 threads and in general Asrock motherboards are one of the few (besides Intel) that offer support for the Xeons. Now my question is how overclockable are these Xeon models and what do I need as a cooler for them? How far will the stock cooler go?
You can get X3440's for $210-$230 new if you look hard enough.

In terms of compatibility, you *might* not need to get a board that explicitly states X3440 support. The chip is fundamentally the same as an i7 860/860s. I'm running mine off a GA-H55M-USB3, which doesn't offer support, but it works.

As for cooling, the key difference between this Xeon and the regular i7's are thermals. The X3440 has the same TDP, but it takes more of a thermal beating. Any thermal throttling you run into will be because of VRM temps. I wouldn't go as far as overclocking on stock cooling, but a cheap cooler should net you very good results.

As for overclocking, it's either a really lucky chip or something that's just as good as the i7 equivalent. So you're pretty much guaranteed 3.8ghz with reasonable volts, however YMMV so don't quote me on this 100%. I myself got a pretty insane chip, it does 3.8ghz at 1.168v, pulling 110-130W from the socket and less than 180W from the wall while folding. I could probably push some fairly good clocks with a better board, but I'm pretty happy with the power consumption.

I would personally go for another cheap X3440 or a 2600k/z68 if I had cash laying around for another folding rig and air conditioning.
Old August 24, 2011, 12:39 AM

My System Specs

X3440's generally don't overclock all that well, well genarally all LGA1156 Lynnfield's don't clock all that well. The last X3440 I had barely would do 3.6Ghz and that was with some aggressive voltage.
Old August 24, 2011, 05:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i spotted on ebay an Asrock board on lga1156 that also had 3 pcie x16 slots, an Extreme something. Could I do some gpu folding and some -bigadv in the same time? Also I think I have seen 6GB of RAM as minimum requirement for -bigadv. Does it really needs 6GB would not work with 4?
Also i have seen an i7 920 for 180$. if these used chips have been oc'ed before are they still capable of some work? as cooler i was thinking of a scythe shuriken or big shuriken. any opinions on that?

Last edited by MARSTG; August 24, 2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old August 24, 2011, 07:26 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

You could fold GPU and Bigadv, but the GPU folding will slow down the bigadv a little, but that little really affects the bonus. I cannot remember the numbers, but I was only ahead 2-3k with the 460 folding with the bigadv, so I figured with my power concerns I would drop the 460 from folding and went with just the bigadv.

As for the ram requirements, I think 4GB will be cutting it close for bigadv. My system will use 4GB of ram while folding bigadv and doing other simple windows tasks. That could be windows superfetch though.
Fold for team #54196
Old August 24, 2011, 10:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
You could fold GPU and Bigadv, but the GPU folding will slow down the bigadv a little, but that little really affects the bonus. I cannot remember the numbers, but I was only ahead 2-3k with the 460 folding with the bigadv, so I figured with my power concerns I would drop the 460 from folding and went with just the bigadv.

As for the ram requirements, I think 4GB will be cutting it close for bigadv. My system will use 4GB of ram while folding bigadv and doing other simple windows tasks. That could be windows superfetch though.
The new cores pretty much offload completely to the GPU now, it's just the interval checks that eat up CPU cycles. With the smaller WUs, it affects PPD noticeably, but with the new gianormous WUs SMP/bigadv are pretty much unaffected by GPU folding.
Old August 27, 2011, 04:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

With the new changes in bigadv units bonus system a budget folding is not really a good thing. From no matter what standpoint you would look at it, building from used parts or buying something new, you would to spend at least 400-450$ to build an 8 thread rig capable of processing bigadv. And just 8 thread would not be enough. It needs to be overclocked pretty serious to be a good producer. A Corei7 920@2.66 needs to be clocked at around 4GHz to get something good from it. With 450$ you can get 4 GTS 450 that will produce well in excess of 40kppd, while a Core i7 @4.0 GHz would do only 25k. Admittedly you will need a serious mobo to install 4 double slots videocards but the initial investment effort is smaller and you can add videocards later on the way. For the moment the GTS 450 is considered the best producer/watt producing more than a 460GTX with average production well in excess of 10k PPD. 550GTX Ti is also a good producer, for the short period I had it the card was producing 13k PPD. So, for myself, I will be focusing on acquiring parts for a platform for GPU folding, most probably I will get an AM3/AM3+ platform with at least 3 pcie 16x slots capable of getting dual slots cards on all the ports. Thank you all for your input and if you have some more thoughts feel free to ad.
Old August 27, 2011, 05:04 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

A 'budget' bigadv rig is hard to do, due to the high clocks and 8 thread requirement. Most folks using extra parts are doing GPU, plus regular SMP.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 29, 2011, 08:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am waiting for some more results on another forum, but is seems that a pair of socket F hexacore opterons 2419@1.8 overclocked at around 2.08 GHz can crack the door open at -bigadv club
Old October 29, 2011, 07:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

At 1.8, they'd be about as fast as an i7 920 at 3.6 and at 2.1, they'd equal that same 920 at 4.2 - so the ability to squeeze those extra megahertz out of them would be extremely important. It would mean the difference between being barely able to run bigadv and running the risk of missing deadlines (at 1.8) and being a consistent and strong performer (at 2.1). So how are they overclockable?

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old October 31, 2011, 01:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

here (Socket F overclocking - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net) the guy found a way to ovc them stable from 1.8 to 2.08 GHz.