Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 19, 2011, 09:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default GPU3 WU 7620 Causing Flaming Hot GPU

WU 7620 sucks! It's making my GTX 460 top out at 70C when the AC is off! The highest I've ever seen before is 60C. Also thanks to this WU, I can't do anything graphics related without lagging. This is like the 511 point WU all over again!
Old August 20, 2011, 10:51 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Looks like these are going to be nasty, I've bolded the good part.

Announcement by Pande Group member tjlane from the Folding Forums;

Quote:
Moving to advanced!

For nVidia Fermi GPUs (GPU3) on Win32 machines
Points = 5187
timeout = 12.6
deadline = 17.9
atoms = 1980

Additionally, these WUs will require a new version (v2.20) of Core15, which should be automatically downloaded as needed.

These projects aim to study the folding of CheY, which, if successful, will be the largest protein folded in silico. CheY is well-studied experimentally, and exhibits many interesting scientific features. Due to it's wide study in the lab, we hope that it will provide a test case for FAH methodology, and give us good ideas about how to improve our techniques. This is an exciting project, since it represents something that is really only possible on FAH combined with the power of GPUs.

NOTE: These WUs are significantly larger than previously released GPU WUs. While I stress *we have not seen any damaged hardware*, they may stress older cards (GTX 450 and earlier) and overclocked cards. If you have an overclocked card, and receive one of these units, monitor your card's temperature actively. You may want to reset to factory clock settings.
These are going to cause a lot of grief...

Old August 20, 2011, 11:17 PM
Banned
F@H

interesting. ive set mine o na custom fan profile vs 60-70% just in case.

thanks for the heads up!
Old August 21, 2011, 06:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
i've set mine o na custom fan profile vs 60-70% just in case.
can you please give us a screenshot of that custom profile? I am using the default one in evga precision.
Old August 21, 2011, 07:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

thats mine for reference
Old August 21, 2011, 08:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have my GTX 460 set to auto fan speed. Right now it's at 61% with the GPU at 70C. Also got a BSOD lol. Guess my GPU overclock wasn't stable at 840 core with 1012mV.

I wonder what the PPD is like. I never checked it yet.
Old August 21, 2011, 08:55 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Wow yeah I would manually set the fan at 70-80% if temps are horrible. I would go so far as to pause folding for a few mins, set the fan before the card heats up and then resume.
Fold for team #54196
Old August 21, 2011, 09:18 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
can you please give us a screenshot of that custom profile? I am using the default one in evga precision.
it involves bios editing. this way no software will ever be able to screw it up :)

fool proof.
Old August 21, 2011, 07:53 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Well there seems to be a silver lining to these beasts, at least for those also using the cpu to Fold on their rig(s).

According to posts on the Folding Forums these WU's seem to use a lot less cpu time, speculation is it's because the checkpoints are further apart.

From this thread Folding Forum • View topic - New Gpu Wu's good news for bigadv Folders.

Post by Jester;

Quote:
Now that these bigger Gpu Wu's have been released to -advmethods (here viewtopic.php?f=24&t=19390)
there seems to be little to no impact on bigadv smp frametimes here so far due to the larger, 5 minute+ frametimes,
Running a GTX470 @ 775 core alongside an i7 970 @ 4.2hz and seeing little difference in smp frametimes with and without the Gpu client running,
the new Gpu Wu's do add more stress though, even watercooled the GTX470 Gpu temps went up 3-4c so I'd heed the warning in the linked thread with
air cooled and/or overclocked Gpu's,
Compared to the smaller Gpu Wu's with frametimes of a little over a minute these big Wu's make smp + Gpu Folding a viable option again, with the smaller Wu's
bigadv smp on my 970 Cpu took a ppd hit of around 6k ppd ......
Response by Pande Group Menber tjlane;

Quote:
Thanks, Jester! This makes some sense. Basically, the FAH GPU core is very good about keeping all of its calculations on the GPU, where calculations can be done quickly, and only uses the CPU to send results back to be written to memory. These new bigger units will write less frequently, since their calculations take longer, thus use less CPU power.

Thanks for the cool news!
-Bigadv and GPU Folding together again...

Old August 21, 2011, 08:03 PM
Banned
F@H

sweet!!!