Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 21, 2011, 10:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is there a way to control the GPU usage? It'd be great if I can lower it to say 80% GPU usage, so there's 20% left for other things such as watching YouTube and dramas on WMP and Media Player Classic. As of right now, these new WUs are forcing me to stop GPU folding when I'm on the comp watching things.
Old August 21, 2011, 11:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Restart the client with the -configonly or -config flag and set it to 80% usage. Or if you're running GPU Tracker2 you can set that in the GUI for certain WUs.
Old August 22, 2011, 07:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's only changes the CPU usage the last time I tried that. But nonetheless, I shall give it a try and report back.

I'm using console client. Hate the GUI client.

Last night, I got another BSOD while folding this WU. I just recently re-tested my rig and overclock for stability and it passed 6 hours of Linpack. I'm guessing the BSOD would be caused by the GPU? It's the 2nd BSOD in two days.
Old August 22, 2011, 09:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, these new 2.20 don't play nice.... I can get my GTX 570 up to 86C when it's hot outside and the fan is maxed at 85%
My major problem is I can't run the WU while using my computer... I can have something like minecraft open and play that fine, but I've crashed my computer multiple times trying to use a web browser while folding! Also, the increased heat + power draw isn't worth getting the same PPD, even if the science is super cool (different story for SMP folders who see an increase in SMP while running both SMP+GPU).
Old August 23, 2011, 01:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just got one of these WU today. PPD is down by ~1000-2000 and I'm seeing 77C for temps. I assume the extra heat is represented quite nicely by the +13W of power consumption from my GPU.

At least my GPU doesn't whine with the WU

EDIT: This is on GTX 550 Ti at 970 core.
Old August 23, 2011, 01:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
I just got one of these WU today. PPD is down by ~1000-2000 and I'm seeing 77C for temps. I assume the extra heat is represented quite nicely by the +13W of power consumption from my GPU.

At least my GPU doesn't whine with the WU
I've also noticed that coil whine has disappeared with my 470. Temps are a little higher, but not by much.

PPD has gone up 1-2k though.

Unfortunately after 3 of these I realize it's still too hot for me to do any real folding atm.
Old August 23, 2011, 02:15 PM
Banned
F@H

remind me what you got to do to get these? the coil whine suxxx :p
Old August 23, 2011, 03:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just enabled advmethods on my client and one of these 7620 WUs popped up this morning. My GPU is definitely running hotter, but I'm still alright with my conservative overclock of 995/1050. (the 1050 being the factory setting for RAM)
Old August 23, 2011, 03:34 PM
Banned
F@H

i have that in the shortcut and dnt remember seeing one on me mains. i think i saw it on the other one...weird,
Old August 23, 2011, 06:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
Well, these new 2.20 don't play nice.... I can get my GTX 570 up to 86C when it's hot outside and the fan is maxed at 85%
My major problem is I can't run the WU while using my computer... I can have something like minecraft open and play that fine, but I've crashed my computer multiple times trying to use a web browser while folding! Also, the increased heat + power draw isn't worth getting the same PPD, even if the science is super cool (different story for SMP folders who see an increase in SMP while running both SMP+GPU).
What drivers you using?