Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 12, 2011, 05:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default High pitch squeal through speakers while running GPU3

anyone else experience this? While I'm running GPU3 on my 460 i get a very high pitched squeal through my speakers, It's quite annoying and i don't know what could be causing it. It doesn't happen while running furmark or gaming, just when im folding, anyone have a solution?
Old August 12, 2011, 07:30 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I haven't experienced this on my main PC. Are your speakers connected through the headphone port, or are they through SPDIF/digital? Do you hear anything when the hard drive is going at all?

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old August 12, 2011, 07:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you're experiencing this through onboard sound, there isn't a whole lot you can do other than replacing the GPU/PSU. If it's a separate sound card, you can try shielding/drivers.
Old August 12, 2011, 03:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's onboard audio, through the front panel connectors. And no i don't hear anything when the HDD is going because i use SSDs.
Old August 12, 2011, 03:51 PM
Banned
F@H

yeah, i turn the clocks own lol.
Old August 12, 2011, 04:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's likely crosstalk between some power-related line on your GPU and your onboard sound. My Intel motherboard does this while my older Gigabyte and ASUS motherboards did not. I tried three different PSUs to try to solve my coil whine issues with no luck, although all three are older models.

Did you try hooking up the headphones to the rear panel? I got a lot of noise through my motherboard's rear panel but not through the front panel, so you may luck out and have the opposite case. Also if your driver supports connector retasking, try your driver that you connected SPEAKERS and not headphones. Retasking the plug my headpones are plugged into as "Front speaker out" reduces the noise by a few dB.

If you don't want to switch components, can you move the 460 to another PCI-E slot? It looks like your M2E has another slot that you can try, although you'll take penalties in memory-heavy games. Another thing you can try is moving the cable that goes to your front panel audio connector around. Keep it as far away from the GPU or any +12V PSU wires as possible.

If you see my other post, only when folding my GPU and PSU squeal, so I'm not exactly sure what Folding does that Furmark doesn't: Folding on CPU decreases choke whine from GPU?
Old August 12, 2011, 05:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah i saw your post, thats what made me decide to post my issue. My motherboard only has 1 pci-e x16 slot, the other slot is x4 and i dont feel like dremeling the end of it to fit in a x16 card lol. I'll try using the back panel and report my findings.
Old August 12, 2011, 05:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Still getting the squeal, not as loud but still irritating non-the less.
Old August 12, 2011, 07:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oh I forgot that x4 slots can be shorter - my ASUS M3A78-T had an electrical x4 which was full-length.

I managed to reduce my front panel headphone noise (to the point of being barely audible) by switching from a Seasonic M12 600W to a first-gen Antec Earthwatts 375W.
It shows that noise in the human audible range is not a consideration for computer components

I'm exploring switching power supply units (not for computers) at work. All they'd have to do is choose VRM components that don't switch at frequencies in the range that humans hear (like set the frequency to the hundreds of kHz) so coil whine wouldn't be a problem but I guess that would open up another can of worms for the designers.
Old August 12, 2011, 10:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I can deal with the squeal :P I'd rather not buy a new PSU