Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6, 2011, 09:52 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default F@H Results Page Updated - New Key Result On Alzheimers Published

Stanford has updated their results page on the Folding@Home website, now listing 95 papers that have directly resulted from Folding.

Prof. Pande seems particularly excited about the latest work on Alzheimers.

From his blog;

Quote:
We have made a major update to the Results pageon the Folding@home web site. We now list 95 papers that have directly resulted from Folding@home, although we note that there are 193 papers from the Pande group in general. There are many new results to talk about, but I will just highlight a few below.
One major result is in the area of Alzheimer's Disease (paper #95). It is believed that Alzheimer's Disease results from the misfolding of the Abeta peptide. Understanding how Abeta misfolds could give us some key insights into how to cure Alzheimer's Disease. This paper experimentally tests a key prediction made in an earlier paper (paper #58: "Simulating oligomerization at experimental concentrations and long timescales: A Markov state model approach" by Nicholas W. Kelley, V. Vishal, Grant A. Krafft, and Vijay S. Pande. J. Chem. Phys. 129, 214707 (2008); DOI:10.1063/1.3010881). In this paper, we show experimentally that there appears to be a beta turn in the Abeta as predicted. This leads to a very stable form of misfolded Abeta which could be used as a starting point for a new Alzheimer's therapy. We are heavily pursuing this research direction at the moment.
Another key result is in the area of methods (paper #93). We are constantly honing our methods to improve Folding@home's ability to predict the behavior of proteins. This paper demonstrates the current state of the art in terms of both sampling and analysis. When compared to detailed TTET experiments, we show that our methods can piece out even fairly detailed aspects of folding. However, we also see the ways in which our models are not perfect, suggesting how we can improve our methods even further.
We'll highlight other papers as time goes on. I'm particuarly excited about these results. In particular, the results from paper #95 were first discovered several years ago, but we carried out several followup studies to verify them, etc. As always, I'm most excited about what we're doing now and hope to get some of our current key results in theses areas out from peer review soon.

This is why we Fold...

Old August 6, 2011, 10:02 PM
MVP
F@H

Fold on!

PSXeven. Batards of the World Unite!
The gap between happiness and utter misery is only but a few inches
Old August 6, 2011, 11:41 PM
Banned
F@H

yhaa!!!

might not cure ya granpa today,but could cure him in a while,if he's still kicking then!!!
Old August 7, 2011, 06:05 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post

This is why we Fold...

Most definitely....keep it up folders
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old August 7, 2011, 08:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Carry on the good work folders, I am excited to see results from the research.