Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 18, 2011, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
The 5750 is going through 4-5 WUs a day.....
and apparently the best driver for folding is the 10.5. My 5770 was doing around 6000ppd and after driver change at 10.6 was doing only 2600. So driver counts a lot too.
Old August 18, 2011, 10:44 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Running the V7 folding client, with the most recent drivers and averaging a little under 5800 ppd. To get any better I think I would need to go to a much newer card, or put an nvidia card into it.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old August 25, 2011, 01:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Here you have a screenshot with one of my GTS 250 at work, no overclock, default values for chip/shaders/memory. You should be able to get these at no more than 60$ locally. For the value is quite a good PPD producer. If you need to get an estimate of what kind of production you can expect from different cards you might want to look here : Folding@Home GPU PPD Database - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Now a question for the gurus of folding here at HWC : what is the best combination of SMP anf GPU folding in the same time? If you do SMP better leave a core of your multicore CPU free for the GPU client too? Like let's say you have a 6 core Phenom II, you SMP fold with 4 cores and leave 2 other cores for managing the GPU clients, or how is best (yielding best production together)? We exclude the case that we do only SMP folding, we talk about the case of SMP and GPU folding in the same time.
Attached Images

Old August 25, 2011, 01:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't call myself a F@H Guru but I have bounced between a lot of CPU + GPU combinations folding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
what is the best combination of SMP anf GPU folding in the same time?
I think even with the lesser bigadv penalty, the best "combination" for points / power consumption in dedicated folding, would actually be a Core i7 2600k OC'd like crazy on a Z68 board with the IGP giving you the desktop. Unless something changed, a 2600k on its own can outproduce any GPU for the same wattage. Now if you HAVE the GPU and CPU already, you might as well fold on both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
If you do SMP better leave a core of your multicore CPU free for the GPU client too? Like let's say you have a 6 core Phenom II, you SMP fold with 4 cores and leave 2 other cores for managing the GPU clients, or how is best (yielding best production together)?
Only if you GPU is folding ATI GPU2 or is a low-end nVidia GPU.
If you have a low-end GPU or are using the older ATI client, the GPU folding will eat a sizeable portion of one core's CPU usage. If you see more than ~5% CPU usage out of your GPU clients combined, then leave a core free for these clients. From what I've seen, if >10% of a core is being used up, the SMP points generation drops so much that you might as well not fold on that core. Recall a WU's behaviour varies a lot depending on the platform you are using + the WUs themselves are different, so you may have to experiment.

What you can do is complete a WU with SMP only, and then try again with SMP + GPU client(s). See if the GPU folding can make up for the penalty you take from the SMP getting disrupted. If you're folding mid to high-end nVidia cards, even from older generations, you should easily produce more GPU points than you are penalized SMP points.
Old August 25, 2011, 02:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i have a GTX 460, a GTS 250, and a 9800GTX+. CPUs on both platforms are Phenom II quads, 940 and 840.
update :
I noticed on the system where I have 2 cards folding that PPD production from the smp client when running on all 4 cores ( Phenom II X4 840@3.2GHz ) is the same as when running 2 cores only (around 3800 PPD) so clearly having multiple GPU clients running in the same time chokes the CPU. On the other system where I have only one card folding, PPD production of the smp client is almost double, north of 6000 PPD, CPU is a Phenom II X4 940@3GHz on slight ovc to 3.3GHz. That is why my new system will feature a 6 core Phenom II X6, to run smp on 4 cores and leave 2 others to manage the system and ordinary tasks.

Last edited by MARSTG; August 26, 2011 at 07:08 AM. Reason: update