Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 5, 2011, 01:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
This is going to affect us big-time. Some folks who have spent big money on Bigadv will be disappointed.

I wonder if they are just having a hard time getting Bigadv units ready, or is it simply a case of folders not doing other units enough.

Naw, not disappointed - those 500-600k units we're good while they lasted. As "one of those guys" who has a folding farm full of SR2s and stuff.. as stated previously, something had to give. The bonus' were far too much imo, and it was only a matter of time before they had to drop their bonus value multiplier.

Now the question remains if it's worth folding bigadv on a 4 core/8 thread box, or just go regular SMP. I think that bigadv will probably be left to the big brusiers too, as they are the only ones to benefit from the short runs with good bonus points.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old July 5, 2011, 01:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well, this makes my decision to stop folding for a couple months much easier. I did like getting to 82k PPD, but it's just too hot in my basement now. I don't mind it being a bit warmer than upstairs in the winter, but not when upstairs is sitting at 25 degrees.
Old July 5, 2011, 02:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
Now the question remains if it's worth folding bigadv on a 4 core/8 thread box, or just go regular SMP.
My initial calculations for my i7 860 show a delta of ~3k PPD (P2684) to ~7k PPD (P6901). So looks like it still makes sense to fold bigadv on dedicated folding boxen. Whether the 3k-7k PPD difference is worth it on non-dedicated boxen, though, will depend on the individual I suppose.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old July 5, 2011, 05:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yep ; from june ;
-bigadv lifespan

---

I'm still considering a bigadv rig , but I'm glad I've got gpu's going too.

Old July 6, 2011, 02:52 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

20k less then before on my P6900 wu
Server system
|I7 3820|Asus P9X79|12G G.Skill 1600Mhz|Noctua NH-D14|Corsair Force 3 120GB|LSI megaRAID 9261 8|RAID5 5X 3TB|Corsair AX650|Fractal Design Arc Midi|

Twitch
Old July 6, 2011, 07:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm... as I fold on my "lowly" i5 2500k, never having tried folding bigadv and being overtaken like crazy, I wonder what's next?

Folding really works like a multiplayer PvP video game. When one thing becomes overpowered, a bunch of people jump on board, and later it gets nerfed when the developers have seen enough of it
Old July 6, 2011, 09:05 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
Hmm... as I fold on my "lowly" i5 2500k, never having tried folding bigadv and being overtaken like crazy, I wonder what's next?

Folding really works like a multiplayer PvP video game. When one thing becomes overpowered, a bunch of people jump on board, and later it gets nerfed when the developers have seen enough of it
They do change things quite a bit. I have seen ATI folding be desirable, to PS3, to nVidia, to Bigadv and Bigbeta.

Seems if you have limited funds, you are better off building an 'all-round' system that can tackle various types of WUs.

Still though, cpu folding is the way to go for ppd/watt at the moment.
Fold for team #54196
Old July 6, 2011, 09:46 PM
Banned
F@H

word.

even up here where electricity is relatively cheap a few hundred bucks more in the pocket at the end of the year matter!
Old July 7, 2011, 04:55 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

This is a tough one to quantify.

My opinion is that it brings things back into proper alignment, but I think it will also make a lot of donor folders pretty unhappy. Some bought some big systems with a million PPD in mind and will have to settle for something less.

Alternatively, it seems like the point totals and bonuses were spiraling out of control, and we were suffering a lot of point "inflation" lately. 6903 units were getting nearly 600K PPD on my 48-core, which is TWICE what 6901 units were getting. It became an exercise in frustration to see if -bigadv or -bigbeta should be used today to get one of those shiny new 6903/6904 units to keep up with the Joneses. Now the difference between 6901 and 6903/6904 is about 90 - 100K PPD and I can live with that.

Points can sometimes drive behavior. Stanford realizes this, and I think they are trying to (not-so) gently PUSH folders back to GPU, SMP and other non-bigadv units.

In the end I am ok with it, though in the back of mind I think "Why didn't they just do this in the first place" because it would have caused less frustration and anger, but c'est la vie.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old July 7, 2011, 09:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10e View Post
Points can sometimes drive behavior. Stanford realizes this, and I think they are trying to (not-so) gently PUSH folders back to GPU, SMP and other non-bigadv units.

In the end I am ok with it, though in the back of mind I think "Why didn't they just do this in the first place" because it would have caused less frustration and anger, but c'est la vie.
Its funny because I know Chris, Arinoth and I talked about this several times over the last year. The inflation is rediculous, and needs to be kept in check. I personally feel the entire system needs an overhaul from scratch to bring it back in line because it is that far out of whack.

To expand: It is difficult to justify the -bigadv/beta bonuses when dedicated GPU folding (across MULTIPLE clients) nets you 8-20k ppd regardless of card. IE: Folding on an 'old' 2xx series card nets you nearly as much as its equivelant version 4xx card.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about