Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 18, 2012, 09:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am reviving this thread a bit because I am having a similar problem again : I received a GTS 450 also from MSI, the Cyclone OC version clocked at 850MHz. While the card is impeccable at gaming I have trouble folding with it. It stays next to another GTS 450 from Asus, also clocked by default at 850MHz and while the Asus is chugging fine the MSI failed to complete 10 WUs in a row, so it was given a 4 hour break. Also while it started a WU, the same number as the Asus, it showed a higher PPD, Asus was around 8.7 kPPD and MSI showed 1k PPD more. So it seems that maybe is MSI that is meddling with the cards not the chip itself. Anyone else has issues while GPU folding on MSI nvidia cards?
Old August 20, 2012, 06:35 AM
Top Prospect

I've used some MSI GTS 250's. they folded fine for the most part. the fan on one of them didn't last all that long and it was RMA'd. other than that they worked great.
Old August 20, 2012, 06:42 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Folding pushes the limits of stability, especially on oc'ed components. If the card is factory-oc'ed, then it may be stable speed-wise enough for the manufacturer, but not for folding. Downclock the card slightly, and give it another shot.
Old August 20, 2012, 07:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

too late, I sold it.
Old August 20, 2012, 08:04 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
too late, I sold it.
That was fast!

Not sure if this was the case, but these OC'd cards are sensitive if their fan is close to the next card, or close to a case wall/floor. I didn't fold much with it, but it was fine for the few days that I did, but that was with older units.

Sorry to hear that!

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old August 22, 2012, 02:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

it was positioned under the Asus card in between the Asus and the intake of PSU. Clearly it was working cooler and quieter than the Asus, and that cooler of theirs is so nice looking. Now the Asus is in the same position and works fine. Eh well, it didn't work for me. I am thinking of selling the Asus and getting something like a GTX560ti
Old August 23, 2012, 12:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am getting an EVGA GTX 470 today, with the High Flow bracket installed, and even though for me this is the sunset of GPU folding, will try it in the same position as the MSI GTS 450 and will provide a follow up.
Old September 2, 2012, 04:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

EVGA GTX 470 was working fine. I found out however that in order to get multiple GPUs working on SR2 you need to power on that 6 pin connector that is on the mobo. I am having another go at this again, I got a gtx 550 from EVGA this time. Funny thing however : the card was not seating completely in the slot because the shroud on the card was resting on the northbridge cover of the SR2. You would think EVGA would design their products to be compatible with one another! I had to remove the shroud of an EVGA GTX 550Ti in order for the card to sit completely in a pcie x16 port on the EVGA SR2 motherboard! This GTX 550 is chewing through his first unit right now. Asus GTS 450 is in charge of display and gaming duty. I might get a GT 640 however for gaming and display.
Old September 9, 2012, 03:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I got rid of my 3rd GTX 550 Ti this time the EVGA implementation. Very good for any task (browsing , multimedia, gaming) except folding, would stuck like in the middle of a WU at different percentages of completion with no apparent reason. And when I used it as a display card to GPU fold on it the lag time was horrible, around 4 seconds delay. I hope is going to a loving home as there is no love here for GTX 550 Ti. Most probably was my last one.