Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 7, 2011, 04:54 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
I am of mixed feelings, though, as I witness folding increasingly become a rich man's game.
I agree, it can be taxing on the wallet to have a folding farm producing with the 'big boys'. Considering a quad G34 can be $3k, is a lot for a dedicated folding box.
I can't wait for the dual 2011's, I know i'll probably be an early adopter.. as for the quad G34's - i'd love to pick one up to play with one.. however recent expenses will prohibit me from getting one right now.

On topic, I picked up a 6903 last night on my 980x finally.. I don't have the exact TPF or PPD, but it'll take a full 3 days (71.5h) to complete. The 980x is @ 4.0Ghz, running the quick install linux folding client (thing) Haven't had a chance to put the full Ubuntu install with Kraken / etc.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old June 7, 2011, 04:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreX5 View Post
I have to agree DT. While I guess it has been this way since gpu's were introduced into the mix, the scale lately has been going exponentially out of control.

Back on their premise that points is somehow supposed to equate science being done, are they now saying that running a single core unit is now next to useless at its less than 69 points being done a day. Should gpu's start to be shut down because anything less than 10k doesn't really blip on the radar map anymore.

I'm starting to think the bonus system, multicore mega machines and such may be distorting the way that folding started. That is everyone contributing to make a greater good.

With the super powers out there, its becoming a hard argument to keep saying "but every bit counts!" I'm all for trying to cheer on the troops and try to pep up support, but the mole hills next to the mountains are not the best selling point.

Like all things, more money could be thrown it at and dominance could be had. To a certain extent it was always like this. It does encourage people to get the latest and greatest and fastest. But perhaps its also time for them to take a step back and analysis the balance, maybe it discourages a great proportion of people from starting as it takes them a year to get a million points. When someone tosses out a million points in an afternoon.

This isnt quite true I feel.

People have always had folding farms worth mega $$$ in parts and hydro, and the clients are supposed to keep the PPD in check. Or atleast thats how it was in the past...I'm not 100% sure if its true today (since I havnt folded with a 260 in 2ish years), but it wasnt that long ago that a GPU2 (nV 2xx series cards) would get around the same PPD as the new GPU3 clients were giving the 4/5xx series...

The discrepency is definitely in the CPU side of the buisness, when they decided to promote 'bonus' points for faster completion, this led to a wave of people trying to abuse the system to get the most out of the bonus system, and leads to a skewing (on orders of magnitude) of the PPD system.

If they want to get folding back to the roots, as you suggest, they need to ditch the advantages of the bonus system, and just let people pump out more units in a day (or two) to get more PPD, just like the GPU clients.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old June 7, 2011, 06:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
This is all kinds of fun. No doubt about that.

I am of mixed feelings, though, as I witness folding increasingly become a rich man's game.
True, true. It all depends what you can justify though. People have different hobbies and will drop a shiteload of coin on them. Hotrods-boats-motorcycles-guns-rv's-holiday trailers-yada-yada. As you get older you have more disposable income.

I personally get satisfaction from building a complex computer and making it work productively. Often I need direction to get through the process but it helps keep my brain active. If it all went to hell I would sell all my stuff and move on to a different hobby.
Old June 7, 2011, 10:04 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

The bonus system helps ensure that folks return results quickly.

What I would like to see is a bonus system for GPUs as well...the bonus tied to how quickly you can turn in a WU. I have heard they are looking at this, and with these bigbetas, I think the time has come.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 7, 2011, 10:59 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default V-Box Ubuntu 11.4 Fold

Im going to give the Oracle V-box a run as it allows all 12 cores (physical and hypers) to be used on the VM with the Ubuntu 11 OS. If It works reasonably Ill post a quick guide for non-Linux folks like myself. Any tips from the Linux gods?
Old June 7, 2011, 11:54 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I forgot I can see my home network folding stuff remotely.
My SR2 picked up a P6903 this morning, It's a dual 5645 box @ 3.52Ghz running Ubuntu 10.10 w/ kraken and the ck kernel. It has a tpf currently of 26:07 and completion time of 1day, 17h. The 980x @ 4.0Ghz has a tpf of 43:46 and as mentioned before.. 3 day completion.
No clue what the PPD is.. HFM doesn't report it.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old June 7, 2011, 12:04 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
It has a tpf currently of 26:07 ...
~250K PPD it seems.

PSXeven. Batards of the World Unite!
The gap between happiness and utter misery is only but a few inches
Old June 7, 2011, 12:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Virtualbox leaves the "S" part of "SMP" out for the most part. Useless for folding purposes.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old June 7, 2011, 12:56 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
I forgot I can see my home network folding stuff remotely.
My SR2 picked up a P6903 this morning, It's a dual 5645 box @ 3.52Ghz running Ubuntu 10.10 w/ kraken and the ck kernel. It has a tpf currently of 26:07 and completion time of 1day, 17h. The 980x @ 4.0Ghz has a tpf of 43:46 and as mentioned before.. 3 day completion.
Xeven is right, but if you want the calculation to work go into HFM and change the "summary.html" line to "summaryC.html" under preferences and the WU will show up.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 7, 2011, 03:28 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

For me it was "psummaryC.html

Or use Folding@home Bonus Point Calculator