Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2011, 08:08 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, from tPU; EVGA Readies Dual-LGA2011 X79 Motherboard | techPowerUp

Should make for some -bigbeta fun...
OMG. What am I suppose to do now? I definitely can't afford a 4p g34 machine and this board.
Old June 6, 2011, 08:10 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Oh dear lord. Why am I so poor?
Fold for team #54196
Old June 6, 2011, 08:16 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Woah...sorry for the double-post but I picked up a 6903, and the reported PPD (only two steps) is 120k on my i7 970 @4.0GHZ. Wowsers!

Not bad for a single chip setup... ;p
Fold for team #54196
Old June 6, 2011, 08:55 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, from tPU; EVGA Readies Dual-LGA2011 X79 Motherboard | techPowerUp

Should make for some -bigbeta fun...
And you have found my SR-2 workstation upgrade path! Now, what to do with the folding variety?

PSXeven. Batards of the World Unite!
The gap between happiness and utter misery is only but a few inches
Old June 6, 2011, 08:59 PM
Banned
F@H

between a duallie xeon and a quad dozer? theres no choice lol

either way...xeon will have...hmm...48 threads vs a duallie 32 threads dozer(but then again each dozer core is made of two dwarfs soo...64 ahem?)
Old June 6, 2011, 09:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is all kinds of fun. No doubt about that.

I am of mixed feelings, though, as I witness folding increasingly become a rich man's game.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old June 6, 2011, 09:22 PM
Banned
F@H

mais no. everyone and their sister can fold,and get decent points on new builds.

take a kid who's getting a 2500,k or not, and a gtx 560..thats like 40k ppd or something.

ok maybe 30. but still. compared to like a year or two ago? good god! and the power bills too!
Old June 6, 2011, 09:53 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
folding increasingly become a rich man's game.
This is definitely true. The points gap between multi processor machines and single CPU and/or GPU is now just huge.
Old June 6, 2011, 11:37 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
This is all kinds of fun. No doubt about that.

I am of mixed feelings, though, as I witness folding increasingly become a rich man's game.
I have to agree DT. While I guess it has been this way since gpu's were introduced into the mix, the scale lately has been going exponentially out of control.

Back on their premise that points is somehow supposed to equate science being done, are they now saying that running a single core unit is now next to useless at its less than 69 points being done a day. Should gpu's start to be shut down because anything less than 10k doesn't really blip on the radar map anymore.

I'm starting to think the bonus system, multicore mega machines and such may be distorting the way that folding started. That is everyone contributing to make a greater good.

With the super powers out there, its becoming a hard argument to keep saying "but every bit counts!" I'm all for trying to cheer on the troops and try to pep up support, but the mole hills next to the mountains are not the best selling point.

Like all things, more money could be thrown it at and dominance could be had. To a certain extent it was always like this. It does encourage people to get the latest and greatest and fastest. But perhaps its also time for them to take a step back and analysis the balance, maybe it discourages a great proportion of people from starting as it takes them a year to get a million points. When someone tosses out a million points in an afternoon.
Old June 7, 2011, 03:56 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I disagree. Folding is and will always be for the Science, not the points. Stanford decided it needed thoss large (beta) work units done rapidly, hence the rather high hardware requirements. A high bonus too? Great for the Teams that have members capable of folding such beasts. For the others? It all remains the same - you fold 1 WU at a time. You don't have to be the #1 of your Team to be proud of Folding. I know I don't.