Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   Cheap GPU folding build (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/43800-cheap-gpu-folding-build.html)

FlyingFish May 31, 2011 09:45 PM

Cheap GPU folding build

I've got a few spare parts lying around and I'm thinking of building a cheap folding machine to stick under my desk at work. (Hooray for free power!) I plan on just turning it on and leaving it there until it blows up.

I've got an Asus 775 motherboard, a GTX 260, a case, an XP license and an Antec AS300 power supply which will be replaced at some point depending on what I scrounge up. I'm probably going to hit up free geek in Vancouver for the CPU and ram. ($5 CPU for the win)

My questions are:

-What CPU do I need for GPU folding? If I fold on the 260 can I get by with a Pentium 4 or do I need something beefier?
-How much memory do I need? Is 2gb enough or do I need more? Can I get by with 1gb?

LarkStarr May 31, 2011 09:50 PM

I'd imagine 1 gb on xp is fine for gpu folding .. P4 might be another question. cheap core 2 duo might be a lot better.

chrisk June 1, 2011 04:38 AM

GPU folding does not use much CPU resources. If you already have a P4 around or can get it for free then try it. I would still try to get 2GB of ram though, as I would say that will limit you more than the CPU might. To be honest, I have not seen a machine with those specs fold recent WUs in a while, but I would just get the 2GB to be safe and try the P4.

LarkStarr June 1, 2011 08:50 AM

more is always better, and these guys know more then I do for sure. :D

MARSTG June 10, 2011 02:52 PM

Didn't want to start a new thread. I am looking for a video card for myself, will give me 5770 to my gf, she will also do some folding, and I am looking for something for myself. I am looking at either GTX 460 or GTX 550 Ti. Which would be faster for folding? I guess the more CUDA cores the faster? Newegg has the Asus ENGTX460 directCU TOP/2DI/768MD5 at 145 with a 30$ MIR. I guess would be a good buy? Oh yeah, forgot to tell you, i am limited by the PSU to a single 6pin connector. Any GTX 460 with a single 6pin connector?

chrisk June 10, 2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARSTG (Post 523495)
Didn't want to start a new thread. I am looking for a video card for myself, will give me 5770 to my gf, she will also do some folding, and I am looking for something for myself. I am looking at either GTX 460 or GTX 550 Ti. Which would be faster for folding? I guess the more CUDA cores the faster? Newegg has the Asus ENGTX460 directCU TOP/2DI/768MD5 at 145 with a 30$ MIR. I guess would be a good buy? Oh yeah, forgot to tell you, i am limited by the PSU to a single 6pin connector. Any GTX 460 with a single 6pin connector?

You sure you limited to one connector? Often cards will come with, or you can buy, a molex to PCI-E adapter, which will allow you to use an available molex plug for your gpu.

I would go with a 460 for the additional cores. Overclock the core a bit when you get it.

stoanee June 10, 2011 05:52 PM

GTX460 is a good bang for the $ for gpu folding. You can expect up to 14k ppd.

MARSTG June 10, 2011 05:58 PM

My PSU is the first Antec true power 550 which has that weird molex connector you would attach on the mobo. Already composed a 6pin for the 5770 with 2 molexes and don't have any other molex to do that. I would have to change the PSU completely to get something with 2 6pin connectors. In this case I would be going with an OCZ modXStream pro 500, had it before and was working nice.

Arinoth June 10, 2011 05:58 PM

A 550 Ti can yield at least 10k PPD, its at least what i found when i was folding it beside 2 560Tis and cpu folding during the CC.

With a shameless pitch, I'm selling it as well if you check out my BST Thread

MARSTG June 11, 2011 03:57 AM

Ok, so basically with a 550Ti I can still pull some respectable numbers but the performance seems to be on par with the 5770. From what I see in the tests to make an approximation ATI-Nvidia, would seem one nV processor core = 4 cores in the ATI architecture. Also 5770 and 550Ti are midrange products while I really wanted some high end. Well I guess upgrade needs to start at the PSU first. And because I have a lot of fans in the Antec 900 I don't want to compromise the cooling, by disconnecting the fans to create a second 6 pin power connector. Besides I don't know how old this PSU really is, i bought it used already, so it might be a refreshing point to get a new PSU anyway which will open some upgrade paths. Makes more sense now?