Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   GTX 460 Not Folding At Full Power (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/43704-gtx-460-not-folding-full-power.html)

geokilla May 30, 2011 02:26 PM

GTX 460 Not Folding At Full Power

I got a weird problem going on. I'm trying to slowly overclock my GTX 460 and when I'm trying out my overclock settings, such as 830Mhz core, I'm not folding at full speed. If I go back to stock speed, then back to 830Mhz core though, then it'll fold at full speed just fine. Basically in order to fold at full speed, I have to go from overclock to stock to overclock speeds on the core. I have the core voltage set to 1025mV at the moment.

_dangtx_ May 30, 2011 02:32 PM

you kinda lost me,but maybe perhaps because its not stable overclocked? :)

chrisk May 30, 2011 04:47 PM

I haven't folded much or overclocked fermi cards often...is the card just dropping to 2D speeds?

What is the heat like? Could be a throttling issue.

geokilla May 30, 2011 07:47 PM

Nope it doesn't drop to 2D speeds. MSI Afterburner reports that it's at the core is set at 830Mhz, and the GPU load is 99% just like it's supposed to. But it just doesn't fold at full power. In order to get it to fold at full power, I have to get Afterburner to apply the stock speeds, then the overclocked speeds.

From the looks of it, it should be folding just fine, but it doesn't. It tops out at 61C. When it doesn't fold at full power, it tops out at 50C.

chrisk May 30, 2011 07:57 PM

Maybe something up with the client/core then?? Add oneunit flag, and after WU done delete the core, queue.dat and work folder. Worth a try.

geokilla May 30, 2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisk (Post 519479)
Maybe something up with the client/core then?? Add oneunit flag, and after WU done delete the core, queue.dat and work folder. Worth a try.

It's been happening for multiple units so I dunno. I'll give it a try in the morning. I can at least force it to fold at full speed when it doesn't. Maybe it's the overclock screwing things up.... I am using F@H to test my overclock since when I had my 9600GT, I found out that even if it passes 3DMark loops, it won't pass Folding@Home.

10e May 31, 2011 03:57 AM

Maybe it's AfterBurner? Try the vomitous EVGA precision or hideous nVidia tools?

geokilla May 31, 2011 11:19 AM

Deleting the Folding@Home files didn't change anything. I just updated to the latest drivers. Let's see if it helps.

3.0charlie May 31, 2011 11:26 AM

I have a hard time understanding what you mean by "folding at fullspeed".

Arinoth May 31, 2011 11:29 AM

Have you tried reinstalling the latest beta drivers? I was having the same issue (as were some others) with my 550 Ti and it seemed reinstalling the drivers fixed the problem, maybe it'll do the same for you