Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 12, 2011, 11:04 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Teen using computers for research

Saw this on CTV news website today.

Ont. teen wins top prize for cystic fibrosis discovery - CTV News

Not specifically described as folding, but looks to me what the supercomputing network did for him. What's really scary is this kid is only 16.
Old May 12, 2011, 11:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for sharing Perry. There's a line in that story that should really resonate with folders: Certainly, while this is a first step for these two compounds, it's a long way from developing these drugs," he said, noting that any resulting drug is probably 15 years down the pipeline.

Important to keep that in mind, especially in today's instant-gratification society.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old May 12, 2011, 01:39 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
Thanks for sharing Perry. There's a line in that story that should really resonate with folders: Certainly, while this is a first step for these two compounds, it's a long way from developing these drugs," he said, noting that any resulting drug is probably 15 years down the pipeline.

Important to keep that in mind, especially in today's instant-gratification society.

Agreed. You got folks folding for a year or so complaining that no breakthroughs (ie. cures) have been announced.

On the contrary, some research has been published using our machines to simulate proteins but it takes a while for theories and the peer review processes to bear fruit.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 12, 2011, 05:05 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Pretty much what I had been thinking. While Zhang's discovery is phenomonal in itself, the research that is required to make full use of what he has found is phenomonal as well. This is discovery is only the beginning, and everything has to start somewhere.