Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   Folding on 2 GPU's (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/43202-folding-2-gpus.html)

gambel626 May 10, 2011 04:21 PM

Folding on 2 GPU's

I just started folding for the Chimp Challenge / in general and I can't seem to get my second GPU working.

I am using GPU2 and I followed the directions on the folding@home website but all I get is the program saying Test Protein A and core is not running now. The strange thing is that both my gpu's usage is at 97 & 98 percent. I am running it in SLI if that makes any difference. Any help is appreciated so i can fold at full capacity.

G777 May 10, 2011 04:34 PM

Sli "shouldn't" matter... what gpu are you on? If its a 4-500 series nvidia card you should be using gpu3.

I'm assuming you didn't add flags to the clients, and that is what's causing the issue...so if running 2 instances you need -gpu 0 & -gpu 1 respectively.

Your best bet may be to use a mngt tool like gpu tracker, or the new all in one client v7 client. Iirc there are links and instructions to both further down in the folding sub-forumWay To Fold

_dangtx_ May 10, 2011 04:39 PM

and extend desktop to the gpu.
and start the client with main monitor on that gpu.
and then go back to your regular main monitor...
and do it again if you reboot :)

MARSTG June 12, 2011 05:26 AM

if i get a new platform with an integrated ati gpu, let's say 880G/GX will I be able to put to work also the integrated GPU? Let's say it will be the integrated GPU and a 550TI. will it work to fold on two different gpus in the same time? how about a 4550 and 4250 combination?

stoanee June 12, 2011 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARSTG (Post 523851)
if i get a new platform with an integrated ati gpu, let's say 880G/GX will I be able to put to work also the integrated GPU? Let's say it will be the integrated GPU and a 550TI. will it work to fold on two different gpus in the same time? how about a 4550 and 4250 combination?

I am quite sure that will not work. You have to disable the integrated gpu to use a discrete gpu.

Arinoth June 12, 2011 06:58 AM

I don't believe intergrated gpu can't really get that much points, and I imagine thats an amd chipset (graphics) which means its going to use more wattage then it'll yield ppd.

MARSTG June 12, 2011 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoanee (Post 523859)
I am quite sure that will not work. You have to disable the integrated gpu to use a discrete gpu.

well actually the bios is not allowing me to disable the integrated videochip so it must be on all the time, despite not being used. wanted to put it it to good work :)

chrisk June 12, 2011 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARSTG (Post 523875)
well actually the bios is not allowing me to disable the integrated videochip so it must be on all the time, despite not being used. wanted to put it it to good work :)

I personally would be interested in seeing the PPD on an integrated GPU, but I would just do it as an experiment and finish one WU. My iPhone would probably get similar PPD ;p

You should be able to disable in BIOS though...there could be a section in the 'Integrated peripherals' section, or there might be an option to choose the 'primary GPU' or such. Would be surprised if there was no option (unless it was a Dell, HP or something).

MARSTG June 12, 2011 07:46 AM

No, is a retail Gigabyte mobo, with 785G chipset. there is the order of using the integrated display or the PEG card but nothing to stop it. i would not mind the extra wattage, have an 80+ PSU on the system, is just that it would be extra help. Anyway, i think I will sell my 5770 and get a used GTS250/9800gt/8800gt for folding on that rig. the video card running the folding now on that system is the radeon 4550

chrisk June 12, 2011 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARSTG (Post 523877)
No, is a retail Gigabyte mobo, with 785G chipset. there is the order of using the integrated display or the PEG card but nothing to stop it. i would not mind the extra wattage, have an 80+ PSU on the system, is just that it would be extra help. Anyway, i think I will sell my 5770 and get a used GTS250/9800gt/8800gt for folding on that rig. the video card running the folding now on that system is the radeon 4550

Oh dear lord!

I have an GTX 460 768MB that I'll be selling this week...PM me what you would like to pay +shipping from Toronto and its yours if you want it for folding. :thumb: If its for a HWC folder I'll unload it for next to nothing (I usually unload it for 40% of new).

Might have to be UPS though as I don't trust CP right now.