Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 8, 2011, 06:49 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Yes. Fold the hell out of your gear folks is the best way to handle this right now.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 8, 2011, 06:52 PM
Banned
F@H

guys,oy!

what about ma 9k ppd yo!?!?!?!

:D
Old May 8, 2011, 07:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

meh,

but Is till ike the contest the Beaver brought us !

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old May 8, 2011, 07:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
guys,oy!

what about ma 9k ppd yo!?!?!?!

:D
You mean your 9k - 30% = 6.3k PPD?

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old May 8, 2011, 07:01 PM
Rookie
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
From the cold hard number facts.

NCIX Avg PPD (over previous 3 weeks before challenge): 2,603, 931

Current Daily Decrease in PPD
05/06: 964 580
05/07: 1 031 001

Beavers_Gone_Bananas PPD During Challenge:
05/06 : 2 663 292
05/07 : 3 638 225

Percentage of NCIX contribution
05/06: 36%
05/07: 28%

If light of this new information, I would decrease the suggested handicap increase to a 30% maximum.

Thus the new HWC handicap would become 301,917
Just curious here:

How does this account for the increase in ppd from the regular contributors and the additional ppd from non NCIX new contributors.

I've never folded before the start of the chimp challenge but on the first day I set up a PS3, My own PC and the GFs iMac, it's a rough total of 20-25K ppd. That's not alot but if you have 10 new folders like me or 20? You see what I'm saying I'm sure. There are other very plausible explainations of the 1000000 ppd difference (or at least a large portion of it) and grabbing a 1 day stat from the NCIX data and pointing to it as the reason seems extreme.

I'm not trying to offend anybody, but I'm another who thinks that changing the parameters during competition was a mistake.
Old May 8, 2011, 07:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I fold in general because I have access to computers that can help in the cause, and members in my family are affected by diseases this project is working to understand and prevent. I fold for HWC because I find it fun

It will take a lot more than this to stop me from folding for HWC, but I think we'll have to review CC's rules for "alliances" when this is over. Slapping 30% seems rather biased and insulting... to do this objectively the contest organizers would have to keep track of EVERY folder for EVERY team who switches temporarily for the contest. Since that's impossible, maybe we need a new metric, or go back to the old one.

I gave it a bit of thought (between typing the previous sentence and this one), and I can't think of anything short of SecuROM levels of evil to keep track of what individual folders can do. One of my ideas was how many folders on the team hits a certain folding milestone, but of course you'll have someone with a lot of CPU cores or GPU spam accounts. Even if folding supported something like World Community Grid's # of devices per user that could be exploited by renaming your computer several times. All in all, I think it's unfeasible to go with the current % of total metric if the captains are going to be that picky about it.

The only thing I can think of is to sacrifice the team-vs-team competition for recruitment of new folders:
  • Everyone in the Chimps Challenge folds under the same team id, maybe one dedicated to CC
  • The first year will give a baseline for the number of points all the CC participants produced EDIT: or just sum up every CC username's points
  • For the next year, set a higher goal based exclusively on an estimate on how improved technology gives better PPD
  • If you recruit new folders, you'll exceed the goal
  • Rinse and repeat

Old May 8, 2011, 07:07 PM
Banned
F@H

haha,i furgut the 30 purcent yo! :D

man,its all about having fun

were ourselves ranting about there rants

fudge it!!

i say we fold with all our folding and das it!
Old May 8, 2011, 07:31 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Yes. Fold the hell out of your gear folks is the best way to handle this right now.
Agreed... tomorrow I am recruiting all the pc's at work to help out

I have moved my small PPD contribution from NCIX to Beavers_Gone_Bananas for this challenge - Now with this bizarre turn of events I am more determined then ever to get more PPD's

I know I am very new here and new to folding with that said I think Chris and HWC has done an admirable job. Perhaps a small suggestion to the other captains in future, so as to minimize the feeling of being ostracized early in the competition would be other trophies - ie, See No Evil = highest point total, Hear No Evil = highest chimp points, & Speak No Evil = Best Performance Increase (who can recruit more folders during the competition) These are just suggestions and I'm sure there are better ideas out there.
Old May 8, 2011, 07:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
And I sure hope the WHOLE forum kicks it up in high gear.
You said it!
Now please excuse me, I have to try to make this work without my 9600-sandwich overheating. :P

Old May 8, 2011, 07:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well, after seeing guys talk about recruiting this blade and that server farm in the Chimp Chat, I feel no regret about setting up the 10 PCs at work tomorrow. Normally, I only fire up my personal hardware, but now I'm more determined.

For the science!