Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4, 2011, 07:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Making F@H rigs vacation-resistant?

Hi all,

I'll be going off for a 5-day trip soon, and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to prevent my folding rigs from choking while I'm not there to poke them.

The two rigs in question are the following:
  • Main: Core i5 2500k SMP + Radeon 4870 GPU2 on Windows 7 x64
  • Server: Phenom 9950 OC to 2.7 GHz SMP on OpenSuse Linux 11.3
I know GPU2 is less efficient than allowing my CPU have the cycles for SMP, but I want that GPU to burn before I get a new one so I want it to fold ... plus it means my rig won't idle if one of the two runs out of WUs.
I'll have a third computer folding, my laptop, but I'll bring that with me and fold off the hotel's power

As the subject, should I do something to make sure they Go_Bananas all through my trip? I will have the rest of my family at home, so I may be able to get them to poke the rigs but I can't have them do anything too detailed.
Old May 5, 2011, 12:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Remote desktop, etc.

Make sure your overclocks are stable.

That's all I did....
Old May 5, 2011, 12:35 AM
Banned
F@H

for peace of mind,a ups,and stock clocks? hell maybe lower em a little! :)
Old May 5, 2011, 05:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the replies. My clocks are pretty stable given that one is at stock (!$#!@ Intel motherboard) and the other OCs have run for about a month without issues. Maybe I'll crank up the fan speeds since I won't be around to hear them?
Old May 5, 2011, 06:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

Don't forget about a good UPS.Unless you've got WOL all setup , a power failure will bring it all to a crashing halt.

Old May 6, 2011, 06:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yep I have one rig on UPS, but for the other I'm waiting for an on-sale UPS to be able to handle 600+ watts drawn out from its battery. (my current UPS is only working fine for my main rig because the Sandy Bridge processor makes up for the inefficient GPU).
Thanks!