Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4, 2011, 03:31 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default F@H setup

I have a 1090t and a 560ti at home doing nothing and I was wondering how I should set them up? In which order do I install the clients? Is there a separate client for to use for gpu and cpu? What specific settings should I use? How do I use HFM.NET with the clients?

I have a Mushkin Callisto Deluxe 60GB. Should I be running the clients on that SSD or should I run it on my regular hard drives?

I have a 760 running at work following the instructions from SMP install guide for Folding @ Home but when I add the client to HFM.NEt, it shows up as Client Type as Unknown and TPF 00:00:00 etc....
Old May 4, 2011, 08:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm an AMD / ATI folder for GPU so I may be wrong about the GPU.

For your work computer, can you find the FAHlog.txt and post its contents here? That will let us know if it's a HFM.NET issue or an issue with your folding.

The best I can think of for your 1090T and 560TI (for pure PPD) is a combination of an SMP3 client for the CPU and a GPU3 client for the GPU (I assume Windows OS?). There are many different client types (to the point of being confusing now...) The clients are available at the following link:
Folding@home - DownloadWinOther
For your CPU, use "Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008/7 SMP2 client console version".
You already found the SMP install guide so you can use that. One thing that varies though, is you can specify "-smp X" where X is the number of CPU cores to dedicate to the client. You should be able to do -smp 6 for your six cores, but if your PPD seems lower than others', try -smp 5 because the GPU client may eat away at cycles your CPU could use. ATI is a lot worse for this than nVidia but it still happens in both camps.

For your GPU, use "Windows XP/2003/Vista/7 GPU3 (required for Fermi) no-nonsense console client". (well you could use the system tray but I don't particularly like them as it's HARDER to see what the client is doing at any given time IMHO)
For the GPU client, you want to use the "slightly higher" or [low] priority setting so the SMP client doesn't starve the GPU client. I can't help you with detailed settings for the GPU3 client so I'll leave that open...
Old May 4, 2011, 08:49 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I'd use the Tracker to setup both a CPU Client (SMP) and a GPU Client.
FAH GPU Tracker V2

Don't forget to setup the Clients for the Challenge!
Old May 4, 2011, 09:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

CPU folding is pretty straight forward. An overclocked 1090T should be able to run -bigadv folding provided you have the correct VMWare image I believe. I haven't followed -bigadv folding in a long time so you'll have to check EVGA forums for more info on that.

As for GPU folding, again it's pretty straight forward. Install the latest NVIDIA drivers and console client. The client will be missing a couple files however, but they can be found here. Can't Fold on GTX 460

CHIP CHALLENGE! GOOGOGO! PM THE MODS OR CAPTAIN FOR PASSKEY!
Old May 5, 2011, 10:56 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks guys. I've started to use the FAH GPU Tracker V2 at work. It's pretty easy and I've added the nvidia 210 to it. I want to setup my home computer with it too but I can't remote desktop to home. The IP may have changed
Old May 5, 2011, 12:40 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Hi Wesamess,
Concider getting Teamviewer it is a really decent remote connection software to help you out even if ip addresses change

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesamess View Post
Thanks guys. I've started to use the FAH GPU Tracker V2 at work. It's pretty easy and I've added the nvidia 210 to it. I want to setup my home computer with it too but I can't remote desktop to home. The IP may have changed
Old May 6, 2011, 10:55 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks

So after installing Tracker V2 on my work desktop, there is cpu lag now where there wasn't any before when I had the regular client. Suggestions?

I've installed the tracker on my home desktop as well. Seems to be working. I haven't had the time to overclock it or test it out. The 560Ti is doing better than the 1090t.

I'll look into teamviewer if I can't figure out the rdc problem. It was fine two days ago.