Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 8, 2011, 10:45 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I don't really care who wins or by what rules they do it by.
HWC had over 4 million points yesterday (on EOC stats which is what I always look at) which is just awesome and shows a real boost to this teams contribution to folding = the real point of the CC IMO.
Old May 8, 2011, 11:15 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeven View Post
So the system is only good it they're winning? If you can't beat them, then change the system? :P It's funny how some teams take "competition" so seriously that often the purpose of such an endeavor gets totally jaded. Way to go, +2 inches to your E-PEEN, hurray!
Their was some truth to the argument. To our NCIX members credit, they were able to pull out a lot more firepower than expected and given that this was based on HWC's standard, there is some merit to needing some reflection of the increase.

The accusations of it being done maliciously however are far out to lunch. The ignorance and eagerness to jump to conclusions by a number of individuals from other teams has really served to open my eyes and unfortunately loose some respect for quite a few people.
Old May 8, 2011, 11:20 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
Their was some truth to the argument. To our NCIX members credit, they were able to pull out a lot more firepower than expected and given that this was based on HWC's standard, there is some merit to needing some reflection of the increase.

The accusations of it being done maliciously however are far out to lunch. The ignorance and eagerness to jump to conclusions by a number of individuals from other teams has really served to open my eyes and unfortunately loose some respect for quite a few people.
Yeah there are some crazy conspiracy theories out there. problem is, the whiners are really loud, while many of the folks who fold for the right reasons have no issues, or have accepted it as a part of this year's competition.

When you have something like the CC you end up with some politics unfortunately, but as long as we promote folding then I am happy.

This is my first mother's day since my mom was diagnosed with cancer and things are not looking good for her as of late. I was hoping this would be a healthy way to get my focus on the issue, and I would really be bummed if this whole points thing ended up hurting the cause.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 8, 2011, 11:28 AM
Allstar

Then why don't we just ask the NCIX members to stop folding for us? That should take care of the complaining and hopefully will put more focus on the reason we are doing this in the first place. If it ends up costing us 1st place I don't think too many people here will care too much.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old May 8, 2011, 11:30 AM

My System Specs

It isn't as if the entire NCIX came to our rescue or anything either. It is just a just a handful or two of people (albeit all their heavy hitters ). We also have a contest going on to promote the CC, just like w/ every folding@home contest we have, our PPD always has a nice huge spike. All this bickering definitely is ridiculous in my eyes.
Old May 8, 2011, 11:32 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Honestly, I don't agree with this at all. We have several members (myself included) who have begun folding more intensively for the contest or who are folding JUST so we can win this contest. Isn't that the whole point of this challenge? If not, I fail to see the point...
Old May 8, 2011, 11:44 AM
Banned
F@H

woah,are we producing that much lol?
Old May 8, 2011, 11:45 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
It isn't as if the entire NCIX came to our rescue or anything either. It is just a just a handful or two of people (albeit all their heavy hitters ). We also have a contest going on to promote the CC, just like w/ every folding@home contest we have, our PPD always has a nice huge spike. All this bickering definitely is ridiculous in my eyes.
Agreed. The heavy hitters from NCIX have folded for us in the past as well, inside and outside of a competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Honestly, I don't agree with this at all. We have several members (myself included) who have begun folding more intensively for the contest or who are folding JUST so we can win this contest. Isn't that the whole point of this challenge? If not, I fail to see the point...

My first reaction was to wait for next year to adjust things. I got a few people who didn't even know what folding is, and allowed me to get them running (looks like approx 115k PPD added).

In the end, you balance what might be good for the CC and the captains all figured this was the best way to go.

To those of you upset, I am sorry.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 8, 2011, 11:57 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
SKY, what is boils down to is NCIX's production has been altered by between 26-36% over the past few days as a direct result of the Chimp Challenge.

The entire system is based on the assumption that the teams were relatively "even" in terms of the handicap taken from the sample time. In order for our handicap to have been fair, those members should have been folding for us between Oct and Feb of last year.

The change is simply a reflection of the handicap the NCIX portion brings to our team because it is a large change and a one off.
Old May 8, 2011, 12:05 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I hope it was not just are team's ppd AVG was adjusted? Every team brought in big ringers from other team's for this, NOT just us. Just because the people on their team's are points hog's and dont want to join the CC should not be are problem, but some how it is. The fact we were able to get people to switch over from another team just should go to show they got to work harder as a team, and not to be points hogs. they should not be blaming us for their bad performance, They should be blaming the people on their team's for not switching or trying to recruit new members.

EDIT: I'm thinking some of those other team's also have very good competitive Crunch/Poem/Bionic/ Whatever team's to switch to their CC name to get more ppd for the CC, We dont.

Last edited by badatcards; May 8, 2011 at 12:14 PM.