Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 8, 2011, 07:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's the thing about "competition," it comes with complaints when the playing field isn't 100% level.

But TBH, it's not really fair to say that NCIX accounts for more than 30% of our PPD. I would say about 20%, you gotta remember that a lot of people like me don't fold full force during the year. I myself tripled my output from 10-12k to 30-34k PPD for the CC.

A better way to figure it out is too see how much NCIX PPD dropped. They're getting ~1.6mill right now and they were getting ~2.4mill a few days before the CC. So realistically no more than ~800k is coming from NCIX, probably less.

EDIT: on second thought, if these complaints really get out of hand I don't think it would be a bad idea to revise how much our Chimp point value is worth based on what I said about NCIX above.
Old May 8, 2011, 07:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
EDIT: on second thought, if these complaints really get out of hand I don't think it would be a bad idea to revise how much our Chimp point value is worth based on what I said about NCIX above.

If it is a blow out then I am sure adjustments will be made. For now enjoy first place!!
Old May 8, 2011, 07:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
If it is a blow out then I am sure adjustments will be made. For now enjoy first place!!
Very quick math:

800,000 PPD over a 5 month span is about 120,000,000

232,244,119 is our original 5 month figure.

120,000,000 + 232,244,119 = 352244119

352244119 x 0.1% = 352244.119

Our current total as of 7am PDT is 8,817,076

8817076 / 352244 = 25.0311602

25 Chimp points would put us in second place in close contention for first, but keep in mind I'm being rather conservative with how well we are actually doing, so realistically we'd still be in first either way. The only difference is we wouldn't have the ridiculous lead we have right now.
Old May 8, 2011, 08:02 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Well guys this is a new point system so there will most likely be changes anyways if any team runs away with it. The new point system was put in place to try to keep teams from running away with it, so this is something the captains will look at anyways.

That Bit-Tech forum link you provided made the valid point that ringers are often recruited from non-competing teams often anyways. There probably should be some method next year to add points contributed (ie. 200,000 points = 1 CC point), as well as the handicap point system for increases. This way, the bigger teams might not get penalized quite as much, and are rewarded for science done as well as recruitment.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 8, 2011, 08:44 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Its never going to be a perfect system anyways. Its not like an athlete training for a race. They can train and train and in the end it comes down to tenths of a second. There is a set limit as to how far they can push it and in the end it comes down to who prepared the best and who gave that extra push.

Folding is a very different thing these days. Most teams don't run at full capacity all year. People can throw money at it quickly for big gains. There is lots of talk of 4 thousand dollars here and there being thrown around by team members. There is talk of commercial blade systems being used to give teams boosts. Not sure if it happened but even teams like EVGA talked about 3.5 million ppd boosts appearing.

The days of a simple race where enthusiasts had one machine and they worked hard to tweak it for their team are gone. Whether or not a race would ever satisfy everyone in today's environment I'm doubtful.

I really don't know what EVGA wants when they whine. Everyone acknowledges they are the biggest team and can throw the most points around. Do they really need another trophy to prove that? The stats say that everyday.

Hopefully in the end it is about folding, bring the teams together and introducing new people to the activity. I'm all for competition and fun, it would just be nice to see the whining stop.
Old May 8, 2011, 10:22 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreX5 View Post
Its never going to be a perfect system anyways. Its not like an athlete training for a race. They can train and train and in the end it comes down to tenths of a second. There is a set limit as to how far they can push it and in the end it comes down to who prepared the best and who gave that extra push.

Folding is a very different thing these days. Most teams don't run at full capacity all year. People can throw money at it quickly for big gains. There is lots of talk of 4 thousand dollars here and there being thrown around by team members. There is talk of commercial blade systems being used to give teams boosts. Not sure if it happened but even teams like EVGA talked about 3.5 million ppd boosts appearing.

The days of a simple race where enthusiasts had one machine and they worked hard to tweak it for their team are gone. Whether or not a race would ever satisfy everyone in today's environment I'm doubtful.

I really don't know what EVGA wants when they whine. Everyone acknowledges they are the biggest team and can throw the most points around. Do they really need another trophy to prove that? The stats say that everyday.

Hopefully in the end it is about folding, bring the teams together and introducing new people to the activity. I'm all for competition and fun, it would just be nice to see the whining stop.

Well guys I am pretty certain that there will be adjustments to our handicap, due to agreement of most of the captains. More details to follow but we will be heading back to the rest of the pack so don't get complacent guys we will need the PPD more than ever!

Fold harder guys!
Fold for team #54196
Old May 8, 2011, 10:32 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Yup, we're doing great no matter what the system. And besides, we're Canucks, we're always ready to step in up and show them what we're made of!

Keep up the great Folding Everyone!

Old May 8, 2011, 10:33 AM
MVP
F@H

So the system is only good it they're winning? If you can't beat them, then change the system? :P It's funny how some teams take "competition" so seriously that often the purpose of such an endeavor gets totally jaded. Way to go, +2 inches to your E-PEEN, hurray!

PSXeven. Batards of the World Unite!
The gap between happiness and utter misery is only but a few inches
Old May 8, 2011, 10:39 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Fold harder guys!
But you always say that!
Old May 8, 2011, 10:43 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeven View Post
So the system is only good it they're winning? If you can't beat them, then change the system? :P It's funny how some teams take "competition" so seriously that often the purpose of such an endeavor gets totally jaded. Way to go, +2 inches to your E-PEEN, hurray!
I know guys this is my concern as well, but I would hate to see this as being the way our win is remembered, and our forums in general.

The CC is supposed to promote folding, and right now this is not happening in the manner it should.

A wise man once said in the smack-talk box "we should be fighting diseases"....right now we are fighting each other.

My preference is to change it up for next year, but in the end that might not be soon enough to keep the spirit on the CC alive.
Fold for team #54196