Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 8, 2011, 03:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

At this rate I have a feeling this challenge is going to not happen next year. It's becoming too much of a whine-fest. When EVGA ran off to the win last year, the captains said "Hey, let's figure out how to maybe fix this". We didn't change rules halfway through or start complaining it was unfair. We finished the challenge to the best of our ability and we FOLDED.

Remember guys, folding? What this is all about?
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old May 8, 2011, 03:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
This is something I brought up before the adjustment was made. I'll send a link to this post over to the folding Captain's to look at and see how this gets digested.
Here's another member on OCN's side. Please adjust accordingly as well. If they all want to play fair, then let's play fair.

sbinh

Team Vietnam (folding 400K-600K points before the Chimp Challenge)
sbinh - User Summary - EXTREME Overclocking Folding @ Home Stats

Overclock.net - Overclocking.net - View Single Post - Screen Shot Thread - now folding for OCN.
Old May 8, 2011, 03:43 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
At this rate I have a feeling this challenge is going to not happen next year. It's becoming too much of a whine-fest. When EVGA ran off to the win last year, the captains said "Hey, let's figure out how to maybe fix this". We didn't change rules halfway through or start complaining it was unfair. We finished the challenge to the best of our ability and we FOLDED.

Remember guys, folding? What this is all about?
This is the direction I wanted to go in but it was not to be unfortunately.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 8, 2011, 04:38 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Yeah, let's start picking apart the teams one by one. Deducting points from us has set a precedent IMO as our members now have every right to search down people who switched to other teams..

As I said, every team has done some form of recruiting.
Old May 8, 2011, 04:42 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Yes, but no other team has a pre-determined directive to join with a second team. Sorry, but I'm with a majority of the whiners on this one.

We had a substantial increase from one direct source, which was known about from the beginning. We didn't really "recruit" 10e, deadthings etc. they were intending to be part of the team from the get go, so they should have been factored into the handicap equation. Recruiting is bringing new people into the fold, getting old folders to return - not simply getting transfer from another team. The NCIX contingent is a PART of our team and thus should be a PART of our handicap.

In fact, this was even something I said should have happened from the get go to avoid changing the rules in between. Yes it's unfortunate that the rules for this weren't established in the beginning, however it was expected that the contribution would only be moderate, as it stands, 30% is VERY substantial from just a small source, and again, we were well aware of it beforehand, just not to that degree - the estimate was about 10-15%. The contribution was underestimated, thus it was considered a non issue, and as a direct result we gained an unfair advantage.

Now that it has been established, we are fully capable of going out and getting even further support and prove we have what it takes.
Old May 8, 2011, 04:44 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Yeah, let's start picking apart the teams one by one. Deducting points from us has set a precedent IMO as our members now have every right to search down people who switched to other teams..

As I said, every team has done some form of recruiting.
I asked the captains to be fair about this before we changed anything, and I have sent the reports I have gotten to the captains as well so they can investigate as stringently as we were investigated.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 8, 2011, 04:55 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

That's the point: this wasn't fair in any way, shape or form.

It was done to appease a vocal few and was done in a ham-fisted manner. A 24 hour points average from NCIX is hardly proper...especially considering it is the weekend; a time when quite a few folders (myself included) turn off the rigs to get some gaming done.

Anyways, what's done is done.

Time to answer this BS with some more folding power.......

Last edited by SKYMTL; May 8, 2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old May 8, 2011, 05:26 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm going through the 5 stages of (Grief?)

I'm on anger.

I just added 200k PPD to the works, for the remainder of the chimp challenge.

*shakes fist*

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old May 8, 2011, 05:33 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Default Newbie Comment

Just catching the latest word on the folding competition. It seems that a rule change after the start of the competition has really stirred things up. Yes, this seems intuitively unfair but I'm sure our team captain did what he thought was best. I support his decision.

As a newbie, folding was a chance for me to help out with Stanford's overall goal to perform complex calculations for medical research. Hopefully we do not lose sight of this goal. Although our team has apparently suffered, this goal is still worthwhile.

For me, I just completed my first work unit but am having trouble transmitting it to Stanford's server. My focus is to help out even though now I realize that my contribution is pretty small ----compared to what others have contributed. Still, the competition has ensured that at least Stanford's goal is being met...at least, I hope this year and the years to come.

By the way, I'm still running my client as now my internet connectiion is working. I'm going to try and get my one work unit in after all the work I put into it.
Old May 8, 2011, 05:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well we're still in first and I think we added a little to the lead

Hopes rules don't change again

HWC Overclocking Team, breaking hardware for fun!

Team Thread