Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10, 2011, 04:06 PM
Trial Member

My System Specs

Default f@h Windows 7 issue

Not sure if anyone is aware of this and if this is a double post or in the wrong area please repost for me.

While trying to install f@h using Windows 7 Ultimate 64, I created a new folder (FAH) using the "Canucks" SMP installation instructions, which I had success with earlier.
After I removed f@h from my computer (temporarily) I reinstalled and downloaded everything once again to begin folding only to be met this time with repeated failures.
I had it happen with both the 6.30 and the 6.34 installation files. Apparently in Windows 7 if you download directly from another computer (like at Stanford?), the ability to actually install (execute) the file is blocked by default because it's apparently coming from another computer? I wasn't aware of this and it took me several days and many downloads to finally figure it out.
Remedy?
Right click on your renamed fah6 installation file and choose "properties". Then click on the "unblock" switch on your screen and it will install and run perfectly.

While I'm not a member of the Canuck's folding team, I did use your instruction to get my client up and running and I figured the least I could do to pay back for the kindness was to post this notice here in case anyone else runs into it.
And even though I'm a "Yank", hockey is the ONLY sport in the world :)!
Old April 10, 2011, 04:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Very interesting observation, I have not heard of that one, thanks for posting the remedy. And may I ask what team do you root for?
Old April 10, 2011, 04:35 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Welcome to our Forum and thanks for sharing the info.

Though I have never had your issue (or heard about), it could be:

1. UAC is active at a high level
2. the .exe is in C:\Program Files\
3. the .exe is not run as Admin.
Old April 10, 2011, 08:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for taking the time to post your findings. I'll do some testing on that, see if I can repeat it, and add instructions to the guide. Which I plan to rewrite anyways, with the new unified client now available in beta.