Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 5, 2011, 06:21 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by G777 View Post
Not feeling too lucky, tried web config, tried manual config. Cannot get HFM to work, accidentally reset the freakin VM and it wanted to re-configure... so I lost my 6901 and was rewarded with a 2684

I'm having a want to punch the monitor and smash the keyboard over the case moment. Need a drink... What the heck am I doing wrong here?

The log folder is shown in the picture above. Point HFM to \\192.168.1.103\fah\ and it will pick up the proper log folder.

Windows naming doesn't always work right, especially when you have multiple VMs on the network. What I used to do is go on the DHCP server, and statically assign the MAC address of the VM to it's IP address.. so it doesn't change, and mess up the HFM config.

edit: son of a bitch, that's what you did. I don't know than..

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old April 5, 2011, 06:24 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The path will be listed in the VM in /etc/samba/smb.conf in square brackets usually.

You can view it by doing

more /etc/samba/smb.conf

from a terminal.

I haven't used his image in a while, but if you keep having trouble Gav777, I'll load it up and check it out for you.

I remember vaguely that it used to be something like \\IPADDRESS\1\fah or \\IPADDRESS\c\fah but the computer that used to monitor my VMS now runs Linux and the hard drive is not in it any more for me to check the paths in HFM.Net.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old April 5, 2011, 06:29 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

aaaah, you're right 10e. Browse to (two slashes)\192.168.1.103\ in windows, and it should show you the directory share for the VM.. it's like \c\1\fah\ like 10e said.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old April 5, 2011, 07:05 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thanks for the suggestions guys, problem is there's no place to browse to since I cannot see the virtual network for some reason. Windows tells me I'm connected to 2 networks... one home, one public. Can't change the public one to home... Tried troubleshooting the VM network adapter, windows says DHCP not enabled but the device says it is.

I still think I have a windows networking problem that I caused somewhere. I'd rather not re install the whole OS to fix this: as this is my main, one and only machine at the moment.
Attached Images

HWC Overclocking Team, breaking hardware for fun!

Team Thread
Old April 5, 2011, 07:39 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions guys, problem is there's no place to browse to since I cannot see the virtual network for some reason. Windows tells me I'm connected to 2 networks... one home, one public. Can't change the public one to home... Tried troubleshooting the VM network adapter, windows says DHCP not enabled but the device says it is.

I still think I have a windows networking problem that I caused somewhere. I'd rather not re install the whole OS to fix this: as this is my main, one and only machine at the moment.
There are usually two ways to configure networking for a VM in VMPlayer

1) Bridged, where the VM will get an IP address on the network via DHCP directly
2) NAT (Network Address Translated) where it will be in a mini-virtual network and get the IP Address straight from the Host O/S (in this case Win7) from a pseudo-internal DHCP server.

I would recommend trying Bridged by changing it in "Edit Settings" for the VM in VM Player and see if that works. If that doesn't work, you can change it to NAT and re-start the VM.

When the VM starts it should display an IP address for ya.

Old April 5, 2011, 07:44 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10e View Post
There are usually two ways to configure networking for a VM in VMPlayer

1) Bridged, where the VM will get an IP address on the network via DHCP directly
2) NAT (Network Address Translated) where it will be in a mini-virtual network and get the IP Address straight from the Host O/S (in this case Win7) from a pseudo-internal DHCP server.

I would recommend trying Bridged by changing it in "Edit Settings" for the VM in VM Player and see if that works. If that doesn't work, you can change it to NAT and re-start the VM.

When the VM starts it should display an IP address for ya.
thanks 10e, will try that again. In the edit settings there's a check box under bridge for replicate physical network connection state. I think I put that checked before... is that correct?

Team Thread
Old April 5, 2011, 07:59 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
thanks 10e, will try that again. In the edit settings there's a check box under bridge for replicate physical network connection state. I think I put that checked before... is that correct?
I have bridged but I don't have "replicate....." checked.

I found my old VM that I haven't touched since A3 came to windows.

Old April 5, 2011, 08:09 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10e View Post
I have bridged but I don't have "replicate....." checked.

I found my old VM that I haven't touched since A3 came to windows.
Well that didn't go so well, still can't get HFM to work, only thing that happened is the ip info changed to configure hfm. That and when I restarted the client it dumped my wu and downloaded a new one

I think I'm gonna give up, haven't completed a bigadv for almost a week now from screwing with this. I'll either go back to windows smp or just let it run un-monitored

Team Thread
Old April 5, 2011, 09:55 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

if i remember well, when i was setting up everything with the web configuration i wasn't able to do monitoring with HFM.
Next time do it manually.
Server system
|I7 3820|Asus P9X79|12G G.Skill 1600Mhz|Noctua NH-D14|Corsair Force 3 120GB|LSI megaRAID 9261 8|RAID5 5X 3TB|Corsair AX650|Fractal Design Arc Midi|

Twitch
Old April 5, 2011, 01:34 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I deleted the network adapter in device manager, managed to get them back by re installing the VM Player. I decided to start fresh with a new image and set VM to NAT again...used the web config but I don't believe HFM is working. Usually there will be a colour on the status bar for the client, even if the tpf hasn't registered yet, it'll register as stopped or hung even when the client is not working.

Again, I must be missing something obvious here. There's no virtual network showing, the virtual adapters show no interet access- but the client can download a work unit???
I'm back Home, and I just checked. I have the same information showing in the Network and Sharing Center. Both VMware adapters are in the public area. There has to be something else.

edit: in the web config, I have changed the Workgroup to be the same as my network, and DHCP is enabled. In the Player settings, the Adapter is Connected, Connect at Power On and Bridged, with "Replicate" unchecked. In HFM, the path is

Last edited by 3.0charlie; April 5, 2011 at 01:40 PM.