Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   Air Conditioners: How do they work? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/42185-air-conditioners-how-do-they-work.html)

Zink April 1, 2011 08:16 PM

Air Conditioners: How do they work?

I've been looking at air conditioning to get ready for summer and I was wondering if anyone else has an interesting way they fold through the summer.

I'm not in control of this stuff, but...
It looks like I'm getting a 21,000 BTU (6kw) ductless air conditioning system installed in my 1200 sq ft house. It's a really efficient unit, 16.5 SEER. I did some reading and it looks like 16.5 SEER means it should be able to move out 5W of heat with 1W of power. I think that means it will only be 1200W under full load. The HVAC tech says he he installs most units like this in IT applications which I thought was interesting.

There are 2 radiators that go in the house, one 9000btu and one 12000btu. I just wish I had the money to put the 2.6kw unit in a closet with 3 SR-2. You could probably run bellow zero with all outside airflow cut off:rofl:.
I'll still cut down on folding in the summer but I will keep at least one bigadv machine going and probably a GTX 460 too. I'm just dreaming really, it doesn't cost anything to fold in the winter so there's no way I'm paying for electricity + 20% for the cooling to run in the summer.

How do you guys plan to fold this summer? Is 21,000 btu really 6kw? That seems kind of extreme.

lowfat April 1, 2011 08:30 PM

The last two years I never folded much during the summer because of the extra heat. However my SR-2s though out next to no heat compared to GPU folding I use to do. Hopefully because of this I'll fold w/ them during the summer still.

Wi-Fuzzy April 2, 2011 09:16 AM

The -bigadv will be no big deal in the summer. The do not through that much heat. Video cards on the other hand are great space heaters. I heated my basement with 6 560s this winter in -30c temps.....as in, the heat was shut off.....

_dangtx_ April 2, 2011 10:14 AM

well you can run it when youre there and off it when you step out.

i sugest also making use of the in palce ventilation, aka windows and house fans

ilya April 2, 2011 10:49 AM

I know one guy setup his rig with a ton of Delta's to exhaust outside, his rig was in the garage.

As for myself, I just fold during the cheap smart meter hours, which are at night and reduce the need for extra AC. Not to mention it ends up costing me less than $5 a month in power for ~220k points. (approximate increased AC costs included)

Rison April 4, 2011 09:35 AM

I folded all summer long with GPUs going full tilt in my basement and my air conditioners going all out, all summer.

Not this summer, screw that noise.

SR-2 will be in the garage, and that's it.

6KW for 21,000 BTU is far too much. I'm not sure you were given the right specifications? I don't know..
I have a 15,000 BTU air conditioner in my wall for my upstairs, that runs off a standard NEMA 15A wall outlet (1440 watt max)

Zink April 4, 2011 02:29 PM

I meant it can take out 6kw of heat. You could run 5kw of folding hardware in a room with it and it would keep the air temps frosty. I think.

LarkStarr April 4, 2011 02:53 PM

measuring heat in power now. oh wow! :D

Zink April 4, 2011 08:36 PM

Air conditioners are ratted in BTU per hour. BTUs are a measure of heat energy and when you convert it to kw hours you get 6 kilowatt hours per hour or 6 kilowatts. I agree it's interesting to think about it that way.

Rison April 5, 2011 05:46 AM

oh, I see what you're talking about now. When I read the wattage, I instantly went with what it draws from the wall -which is normally a concern when purchasing air conditioners.. well, for me at least.

Liebert/Emerson/Eaton used to have calculators for LAN rooms, to determine the air conditioning system needed based on your server setup and future expansions.. and most of their systems are rated by kW, not BTU. I'm pretty sure you can find them online by now. I used to have the program on my old laptop that you used to put in the room size + the systems and cabinets you were going to use and it would spit out the size in kW + the recommended model. Most of the time it was right, lol.