Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   New Core 16 For ATi; Limited Release To -Advmethods (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/42156-new-core-16-ati-limited-release-advmethods.html)

LCB001 March 31, 2011 09:32 PM

New Core 16 For ATi; Limited Release To -Advmethods

The new FahCore 16 has finally been released for the ATi GPU lovers. There will be a limited number of the new testing WU's available until Stanford is sure they are stable and the new v7 client is required.

The high CPU load reported is because the present WU's are "generally small proteins" according to mhoustan and is being worked on.

Blog post by Prof. Pande;

Quote:

In a previous post, I mentioned our plans for supporting ATI GPUs. I'm happy to announce that with the release of v7 into open beta, we have now released ATI core 16 GPU3 WUs into advanced methods for Folding@home. Please see Dr. Lin's forum post for details.

We are doing a gradual rollout of these WUs, for a couple of reasons. First, while this has gone through beta testing, it is still pretty new, so we want to be cautious with its rollout. Second, I would like to add some more servers to help the load. These servers are being delivered today and will likley be on line in a week or two. Depending on the load on the ATI core 16 Work server, we may wait for a full release until the new hardware is on line.

Just a reminder from the previous post that there are some limitations in our ability to support ATI boards. In particular, we're limited to those which support OpenCL 1.1 in order to get any sort of reasonable performance out of the hardware. This means that only 5xxx ATI GPU boards or later will work with the new core 16 (the series 3xxx are not supported and the series 4xxx does not have sufficient OpenCL support). However, we will keep core 11 support going hopefully at least until Sept 1, 2011 in order to support the older hardware.

Also, we are looking at support of older NVIDIA GPUs as well. In particular, there have been reported issues with some 8xxx series boards. We may have to limit their support as well due to analogous hardware compatibility issues.
We're excited to be able to release OpenCL support for ATI GPUs. However, I want to stress that it is still pretty early days for this code, but we're excited about where this is going.
Forum Post By Pande Group member yslin;

Quote:

There will soon be a new core16/ATI project 11293 going on adv for the open beta v7 client. This project serves as a testing WU for core16/ATI and v7 client.

P11293: Test simulations of a single full-length Amyloid beta peptide (627 atoms) at high temperatures
Points and deadlines: 1835 points, preferred deadline 6 day, final deadline 10 days

Thanks!
Warning by Prof. Pande;
Quote:

PS It is important to note that beta testing has found issues with running this core while watching video. Until this issue is resolved, the only work around is to not watch videos while folding. Clearly this is not a long term solution and we are investigating this.
:canadianwave:

SKYMTL March 31, 2011 09:41 PM

Oooooo!!!

_dangtx_ March 31, 2011 10:05 PM

yummy. looks like me using advmethods forever will do something!

Dead Things March 31, 2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LCB001 (Post 501766)
In particular, there have been reported issues with some 8xxx series boards. We may have to limit their support as well due to analogous hardware compatibility issues.

Ah crap.

Keywork April 1, 2011 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Things (Post 501778)
Ah crap.

That's exactly what I said when I read that..... what will I do with my 2 precious' :sad:. This may just expedite my upgrade schedule lol.

Oh, I almost forgot. Pretty pumped to see what PPD is like for 6xxx series cards right now with the new core! Someone try this!!!!

stoanee April 1, 2011 07:48 AM

S'about time!

SKYMTL April 1, 2011 09:07 AM

Any PPD info on this new WU yet? Do the monitoring programs even recognize it? ;)

Soultribunal April 1, 2011 09:35 AM

SInce I have time on my hands, I'll try tonight SKY on my 6950 and see where it gets me.

better folding than crashing during Eve lol.

ST

SKYMTL April 1, 2011 10:35 AM

HFM does not recognize the new V7 Beta client it seems.

chrisk April 1, 2011 01:40 PM

No monitoring program is supported yet, as v7 uses a totally different method to track results and generate logs.