Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 29, 2011, 07:55 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I believe they are recommending AGAINST using this client for SMP or bigadv work. I would probably stick to what you have going Chris. From the other forums, it seems like this should only be used for AMD folding at the moment, or at least until some bugs are ironed out and the new core is released.
Old March 29, 2011, 07:58 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Yeah I get "Failed to read response packet" whenever I try regular smp, unicore, or gpu work units.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 29, 2011, 08:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

From overclock.net:
"I'd also recommend that for i7 SMP users, you don't switch to this client just yet. We're not yet certain how -bigadv will work on this client at the moment, but will post something when we find out. TC Folders, as you've been told, don't switch to this client until you get a message from me. I highly doubt you'll be able to assign separate passkeys within the client, so we need to see how things go. "
[Official] The new Folding@home client is here! - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

HWC Overclocking Team, breaking hardware for fun!

Team Thread
Old March 29, 2011, 08:21 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Yeah I get "Failed to read response packet" whenever I try regular smp, unicore, or gpu work units.
I saw on the Folding forum that you've disabled your firewall but could your antivirus be blocking it ??.

Maybe try manually making an exception for all the Fah folders in the antivirus and also dropping the UAC level to nothing...

Old March 29, 2011, 08:48 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
If nothing else comes out of the new client, this will make it all worthwhile. (No more losing PPD because the return server is out/laggy).
There already is Langouste to allow download before completed WU is uploaded.

Folding Forum • View topic - Langouste -- WU upload/download de-coupler (+upload capping)
Old March 29, 2011, 10:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have found there is a threshold to Langouste's utility. On slower bigadv machines like i7's - it's very useful. On faster machines, however, the impact of the lost cycles needed to run Langouste in the background (a couple seconds per frame) quickly adds up and negates any benefit of it. Of course, on anything except bigadv, it's not really all that relevant since the ordinary client will still download a new WU and hold the completed WU(s) in queue when the results server is down.

And this raises some obvious questions about the V7 client: How big is the footprint? How much overhead is there? What is the impact on TPF for all manner of projects? I suspect that there will be a negative impact, which will be largely inconsequential for most machines but significant for the faster ones.

V7 was designed to make setting up folding easier. Since I do not need folding to be any easier, this is not something with which I plan to be an early adopter.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old March 30, 2011, 11:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
I have found there is a threshold to Langouste's utility. On slower bigadv machines like i7's - it's very useful. On faster machines, however, the impact of the lost cycles needed to run Langouste in the background (a couple seconds per frame) quickly adds up and negates any benefit of it. Of course, on anything except bigadv, it's not really all that relevant since the ordinary client will still download a new WU and hold the completed WU(s) in queue when the results server is down.

And this raises some obvious questions about the V7 client: How big is the footprint? How much overhead is there? What is the impact on TPF for all manner of projects? I suspect that there will be a negative impact, which will be largely inconsequential for most machines but significant for the faster ones.

V7 was designed to make setting up folding easier. Since I do not need folding to be any easier, this is not something with which I plan to be an early adopter.
My i7 at 4ghz was showing 12-13% per GPU core, but overall CPU usage was 30-31% on average. So about 4% is unexplained for and could be this overhead. I'm no expert though.
Old March 30, 2011, 02:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looking at the results posted on other forums, it looks it is an improvement for Ati, but I can still get more points running SMP on my old Q6600 than my 5850.
Old April 2, 2011, 02:06 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Finally got v7 to work on my main rig. I think there was an issue on the assignment server's end that messed up something on my end, but I don't really know. I ended up deleting a 'slot' and creating a new one, and it seemed to work this time (tried a few days ago with no success).
Fold for team #54196
Old April 3, 2011, 01:16 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
Looking at the results posted on other forums, it looks it is an improvement for Ati, but I can still get more points running SMP on my old Q6600 than my 5850.
Is this with a new core 16 WU? According to the few numbers I've seen at foldingforum, your ppd should at least double.