Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 21, 2011, 12:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Remote desktop folding

I have a problem.

I'm in the process of setting up my farm for remote operation.

I'm using 'windows remote desktop'

I have successfully setup my main rig and setup my router , I can get onto my main rig from another location.

Here's the issue ;

I can go onto my main rigs desktop etc read emails from there etc......the remote connection works fine.

HOWEVER : when I try to start my folding clients , I get a 'GPU not supported' error when I try to start the clients up......It's almost like it's reading my laptops cfg.....

help !

Old March 21, 2011, 01:13 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I get that all the time when I try to fire up the second gpu in my 9800gx2 that I spliced into my system, and that's when I'm sitting right in front of it. My solution? Delete the config file and start up the client; when I do that, and re-enter in everything exactly the same as before, then when I'm done it'll start right up folding.

It's a very strange problem, and one that I've had from the beginning folding on it (only a couple of months now though). Might be worth a try.
Old March 21, 2011, 01:14 PM
Banned
F@H

try ultravnc?

make sure the shortcuts are not on the laptop desktop?
Old March 21, 2011, 01:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

it's not a strange problem. you aren't using the graphics driver to your main monitor anymore, you're using a microsoft software driver enhanced for network based displays (same with audio, if you noticied using RDC you can hear your computer's audio). there's nothing you can do about this unless you use another VNC/RDP protocol that using screencapping from the main driver rather then another one. UltraVNC works I believe, but I think it doesn't use the GPU to full capacity when someone is logged in to the VNC server.
Old March 21, 2011, 01:16 PM
Top Prospect

Maybe try with the -forcegpu flag? (nvidia_g80 for the cards in your sig, or else nvidia_fermi for the newer cards)
Old March 21, 2011, 01:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
it's not a strange problem. you aren't using the graphics driver to your main monitor anymore, you're using a microsoft software driver enhanced for network based displays (same with audio, if you noticied using RDC you can hear your computer's audio). there's nothing you can do about this unless you use another VNC/RDP protocol that using screencapping from the main driver rather then another one. UltraVNC works I believe, but I think it doesn't use the GPU to full capacity when someone is logged in to the VNC server.
Ah yes.

I had not noticed that but I know exactly what you mean...I've seen some bits about that.Dammit !

----

Last time I used uVNC it was slow and flakey , I hope it's better.
Old March 21, 2011, 01:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

nothing to damn about, just use any of the *VNC solutions. RealVNC, TightVNC, UltraVNC to name a few.
Old March 21, 2011, 01:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

hehe

Yep , I'm setting up UltraVNC.

I confirmed what you said.You are totally correct.

Thx for your help !

Old March 21, 2011, 02:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
Last time I used uVNC it was slow and flakey , I hope it's better.
All VNC variations perform worse than RDP I find. However it's the only way to get GPU's to fold though it seems.

I can't recall, but I believe if you run F@H under a different user profile (log in locally on the server and launch it) then RDP into a different account, I think it would keep folding. Then use whatever tool you want to monitor the folding progress. This works fine if you're running Windows Server as it allows multiple sessions. I think desktop Windows can be hacked to support this too, but not by default.

I ceased folding on my server though since it seemed to become rather prone to crashing for whatever reasons.
Old March 21, 2011, 02:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

^ - but I don't believe you can *control* folding with that method. If you start GPU folding on the computer itself, then log onto RDP, the folding still continues, afaik.

Unless it's 'remotely' (on the same local computer) controlled via that monitoring solution.. that sounds like a lot of work though. :P