Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 2, 2011, 12:02 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

A secret start time might be hard to setup, but TBH we should not be pausing clients as that would be bad for the project. Last year we had a rule that we should not 'prime' WUs (pause a bigadv) because of this, so I would imagine that this year it will be similar.

Good thinking though Wi-Fuzz...like to see those competitive juices flowing :)
Fold for team #54196
Old April 3, 2011, 06:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

With the new scoring system is HWC going to host a stats page like last year to show the teams ppd and point total while the race is going? It would still be nice to see how the race would be if it were still a race to 20 million. If its a 10-14 day race most teams should get to 20million in that time. Kinda like 1 race with 2 finishes.
Last year it took 2-3+ days to get are team's Beaver's ppd up to it's max. When we went over to NCIX to fold for the Hamster it took just as long to get the ppd rolling in, I really think it's best if we all start 2-3 days early instead of trying to time it right.
Old April 3, 2011, 07:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

I'm lost, we all folding under our own name for HWC or for Beavers_Gone_Bananas for the Challenge?
Old April 3, 2011, 08:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It hasn't been announced yet. While chrisk is doing a good job of feeding us the information as soon as he gets it, it sounds like there are still things to be decided yet.

Oh, and badatcards, there are plans in the works for the stats page similar to what we did last year. Hopefully the decisions are made soon so it can be ready.
Old April 4, 2011, 06:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatcards View Post
Last year it took 2-3+ days to get are team's Beaver's ppd up to it's max. When we went over to NCIX to fold for the Hamster it took just as long to get the ppd rolling in, I really think it's best if we all start 2-3 days early instead of trying to time it right.
I agree, should be folding for beavers a week in advance. Another thing I do, because of my slow data transfer rates at work, is to stop my bigwu client shortly after it starts to send in a finished work unit. Completed work units sometimes take several hours to send in and a new assignment will not be downloaded until the finished one is done sending. If I stop the client then restart, it will immediately download a new wu and start folding while simultaneously sending in the finished assignment. This minimizes lost processing time. Mind you, you have to be at your computer to monitor the times that this is happening to do the stops and starts.
Old April 4, 2011, 09:25 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm sure it would be obvious if you stacked work for the chimp challenge race. If the leaders see 20+ bigadv come in, in under 6h.. they should be disqualified.. no machine can complete a bigadv workunit in under uh.. 14 hours? (don't remember the fastest..)

What the leaders should do, to make it all interesting.. is the chimp challenge leaders decide what the team members name is (and register for the serial key for bonus'), then tell all teams what their name / key is at the same time. By the time the bigadv's come in, lots of GPUs will have finished the required # for the points bonus. There wouldn't be any 'preloading' of workunits then.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old April 4, 2011, 09:33 AM

My System Specs

I don't think GPUs WU's count towards the 10 WUs needed for bonus points. It needs to be 10 SMP WU's.
Old April 4, 2011, 09:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I don't think GPUs WU's count towards the 10 WUs needed for bonus points. It needs to be 10 SMP WU's.
Correct. And as for the average stuff above? It's a 7 day average folks. Of course the average takes a few days to be accurate, but the total points submitted don't change. You don't need to "prime" the average PPD. As long as people are turning in completed WU's, that's the most important thing.
Old April 4, 2011, 10:21 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Correct. And as for the average stuff above? It's a 7 day average folks. Of course the average takes a few days to be accurate, but the total points submitted don't change. You don't need to "prime" the average PPD. As long as people are turning in completed WU's, that's the most important thing.
Just a question...is 7 days enough to get an average? Seems to me that the last time I quit for a while it took about 2 weeks to catch up. But I might be wrong about that.

edit: The again..I guess it is the same for eveyone. So it probably does not matter.
Old April 4, 2011, 05:56 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I know that about the AVG taking awhile to level out but the smp clients WU's can take 1-2 days to complete and last year we did have less points turned it on the first couple days because people switching on the 5th wont get their points rolling in until a day or two later.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that if your folding under your name and switch the username halfway through the WU when it is complete it will send it back under the name it was first downloaded to and the next one WU you will get turned it under the new username. So if on may 4th your folding under your name and you get a WU that takes 2 days that would mean that your not folding in the race until May 6th and if you get another 2 day WU you would not turn in any point for the beaver until May 8th and the race is half over by then.