Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2011, 03:10 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Hey guys and gals;

Looks like we will have to get ~2million points to earn a Chimp Challenge 'point' (not sure yet as a group how we would account for two teams joining up, so our actual points to get a 'point' is TBA). Each team will have a different level to get a 'point', and there will be a set time to the challenge.

Which do you prefer for a time limit on the challenge:

A = 7 days
B = 10 days
C = 14 days

I think B is most popular at the moment.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 1, 2011, 03:32 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

I'd say C
Old April 1, 2011, 04:09 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'd vote for B or C.

I'm not sure what the dialogue between team captains is like, but i hope the issue of 2 teams joining together isn't overcompensated for.
After all I'm sure the other teams will have folders from teams not competing helping them out

HWC Overclocking Team, breaking hardware for fun!

Team Thread
Old April 1, 2011, 04:40 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

B sounds like a decent amount of time.
Old April 1, 2011, 04:51 PM
Banned
F@H

lets try a,if unreasonable than b
Old April 1, 2011, 04:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
A yearly average wouldn't be best - with the way technology goes, and workunits upgrade, I would imagine after one year the first months would be really low, no?
Take for instance HWC, we've doubled our production since this time last year.. to take an average to include that far back, would drop our handicap significantly.
A very rough estimate of the past 12 months, would put us at an average of 33mil.. basing it off the past three month is probably the best representation (being the cold months and all)

This isnt how averages work. The fact remains everyone has access to the same technology as everyone else, thus 'our' ppd in January is (relatively speaking) the same as EVGA's ppd in January.

Sure the points production 'doubles' every 18 months, but since we're talking about an arbitrary points scale of "Chimp Points" everyone is at the same handicap relative to technology over the course of the year.

P.S. I'll be bringing my rig back online for the Chimp challenge. Chris, I expect you to remind me via text or PM about this PRIOR to it happening, or I will kill you last.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old April 1, 2011, 06:09 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I like B for the race, That's how long it took us last year to get 20 million points and we finished right in the middle (5th out of 9 teams, Very good I think for are first try) . but WE should do C and start 4 days before the race starts so are PPD is Maxed out for the start of the race( Last year Team Russia beat us by 1/2 a day, If we had a better start we would have had 4th).
Old April 2, 2011, 08:58 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

It's all about getting max points in a given time period. Starting the -bigadv folders 1-3 days in advance (depending on machine speed) so they post a unit the first day of the contest....preffered in the AM. Gives the max points for the time period. If you can arrange this, the shorter the time period the better....gives you a small edge in points. Last one I was in like this...I stopped my bigadv folders for a couple hours...both of them finished the bidadv WUs between 12:00 and 1:00 AM of the first day. Does not sound like much...but if you have 20 - 30 bigadv folders here and they all get 1 extra WU finished...thats alot of points.
Same goes with video cards. Everyone stops thier cards at 95% - 98% and starts them back up after 12:00 AM the the contest start date. Again sounds like no big deal....but it gets you maximum points for the time period.
Everyone will be tempted to overclock thier cards as much as they can for chimps. Test this out in advance. More PPD is great, but...if they lock up while you are not there....you'll lose more than you gain.
Best bet...we all have a friend or 2 with a video card. ask them to fold on it for that week or 2. Most people will have no problem doing it for a while....every bit helps.

And that's all I have to say about that.

edit: 1 more thing I guess. Make everyone knows what time zone it is running in. Could start in a 3 hour period depending where you live.

Last edited by Wi-Fuzzy; April 2, 2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old April 2, 2011, 11:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

^^^

This seems totally against the point of the Chimp Challenge. It isnt about how you can 'sway' the system to maximize your points in a given time period.

It is about promoting folding and getting the most points you can that way.

I for one think the start time should be kept a tightly guarded secret, and randomized, to ensure fairness across the board for all teams and to disallow points 'stacking' as mentioned above.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old April 2, 2011, 11:58 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

A staggered secret start would be great. But if you do not have it..."the above" as you put it will be done by some on other teams. I agree..It's about the folding, but there is no money up for grabs or anything like that. It is a race in a given time period. It's not like you are saving past work units to submit...you're just getting the best start you can. Besides..the end of the race will remove some of the advantage you have gained at the begining because you started fast and will have a wu in progress at the end.

I do agree with the secret start time...over a 24 or 48 hour period. it would ensure an even start for all....someone should talk to the powers at be and arrange it.

edit: But then again..I don't fold here, but I am going to help with the Chimps thingy. So I guess I should shut up and remember I really have no place offering my opinion on this topic.

Last edited by Wi-Fuzzy; April 2, 2011 at 12:07 PM.