Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23, 2011, 01:15 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Bigadv Core A5 Coming Soon Including Linux; Client Upgrade Req'd [6.34 Binaries Up ]

Some people are going to be very very happy about this.

Get ready to upgrade your -bigadv client, Stanford is releasing the new A5 core soon that will be required for new -bigadv projects. The new core will have specific version snapshots that will include Linux at last.

Announcement by Pande group member Kasson;

Quote:
Just a heads-up: we are planning to migrate bigadv from running on Core A3 to running on Core A5 very shortly. Core A5 utilizes the same codebase as A3, but pegged to specific version snapshots. We have 64-bit Linux, Win32, and 64-bit OS/X versions of the core in testing; the initial release will likely be Win32 & Linux.

The new core will require a client upgrade; A5 will require version 6.34 or later. The Linux and Win32 versions of the 6.34 client will be released to the public very shortly. If you are running bigadv work units, please upgrade your clients. That will ease the transition as we start turning Core A5 bigadv projects on and turning Core A3 bigadv projects off.

Thanks and happy folding!
Thread at the F@H forums; Folding Forum • View topic - upcoming core changes (bigadv will switch from A3 to A5)

----------

Update: Kasson just made another post in response to a question about a 64 bit win client and added more info.

Quote:
We don't currently have 64-bit A3 Windows cores in release; 64-bit versions of windows run the 32-bit version. This may change in the future, but the initial release of A5 will use the same model.

The bigadv changeover will be relatively rapid; we highly encourage donors who wish to run bigadv to upgrade their clients to 6.34 or later within the first few days of public release. We do not normally perform rapid switchovers for public-release clients, but bigadv is more of a "power user" configuration. After the switchover, pre-6.34 clients set to bigadv will roll over to normal A3 work units (and thus won't be spinning their wheels idly). We also have a number of non-bigadv A3 projects ready for public release that cannot go public until bigadv migrates for technical reasons.

----------

6.34 binaries now available for those that want to do the guinea-pig thing.

Posted By Kasson in the F@H thread;

Quote:
The 6.34 binaries are now posted on the high-performance download page. We have a bit of cosmetic clean-up to do, but visit:
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

to download the binaries. They can be dropped into a working FAH installation; it's always safest to update between work units, although testers have successfully performed this update mid-work-unit.
Good Luck...

Last edited by LCB001; February 23, 2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Added 2nd Update
Old February 23, 2011, 01:22 PM
Allstar
F@H

So I guess this means no more P2684"s....
Old February 23, 2011, 01:23 PM

My System Specs

A+ for Linux version. I'll be attempting to install Ubuntu Server once again when they become available.

I really hope the new core won't affect the bonus points at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtrotter59 View Post
So I guess this means no more P2684"s....
OMG if true

They drop my 24h average ppd by like 30k.
Old February 23, 2011, 01:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

omg omg omg. ... ... ... omg.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old February 23, 2011, 01:43 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Good news. Interested in the Linux folding numbers. If they are really good, we might choose to dust off those VMs. if the numbers are only marginally better, then I'll stick to Windows.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 23, 2011, 01:50 PM
MVP
F@H

A bit too late for me as I'll (probably) close shop on a couple of SR-2s and just come back again next winter.

PSXeven. Batards of the World Unite!
The gap between happiness and utter misery is only but a few inches
Old February 23, 2011, 02:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hrmmmmm..... Please keep us updated on this.

IIRC, it's pretty easy to get linux to "add" a couple of extra cores so I'd be able to bigadv fold with my 1090t.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 23, 2011, 03:05 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Hrmmmmm..... Please keep us updated on this.

IIRC, it's pretty easy to get linux to "add" a couple of extra cores so I'd be able to bigadv fold with my 1090t.
I've never understood that. I can fold bigadv w/ -smp 5 w/ my Sandy Bridge no problems.
Old February 23, 2011, 03:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, but your SB chip has HT, so the OS sees 8 cores. I'm pretty sure that a requirement for bigadv was a minimum of 8 cores visible to the OS.
Old February 23, 2011, 03:10 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Added to the original post;

Update; Kasson just made another post in response to a question about a 64 bit win client and added more info.

Quote:
We don't currently have 64-bit A3 Windows cores in release; 64-bit versions of windows run the 32-bit version. This may change in the future, but the initial release of A5 will use the same model.

The bigadv changeover will be relatively rapid; we highly encourage donors who wish to run bigadv to upgrade their clients to 6.34 or later within the first few days of public release. We do not normally perform rapid switchovers for public-release clients, but bigadv is more of a "power user" configuration. After the switchover, pre-6.34 clients set to bigadv will roll over to normal A3 work units (and thus won't be spinning their wheels idly). We also have a number of non-bigadv A3 projects ready for public release that cannot go public until bigadv migrates for technical reasons.

Tags
-bigadv , bigadv , clients , f@h , folding , folding@home , linux folding , pande group , stanford