Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10, 2011, 05:36 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Anyone have any issues w/ stability w/ Ubuntu? I just did 20 hours of LinX stable. Throw in the HDD w/ Ubuntu and it crashes within 2 days.
I had issues with stability with Ubuntu and Fedora core. A year or so ago, when I was folding on Linux - I spent 3-4 days installing different OSes and determined that Debian was the best for folding, for me at least.
I tried CentOS / Slackware / Open/Free BSDs and found Debian to natively support the folding executable off the start, without having to mess with a bunch of dependencies and lib files.

I'm not saying Debian is the best (good god I don't want to get into a distro war here), I'm saying for me it has worked flawlessly with every PC i've installed it on to fold.

Edit:
son of a bitch, i'm not making another post for this.

Autostart in Linux = you have to make a new file in /etc/rc3.d/ called S0#.folding (or whatever you want to call it)
In the file, put:
Quote:
#! /bin/sh
/home/path/to/the/folding/executable/fah -flags
Then you have to change the newly created file to be an executable:
Quote:
chmod +x S0#.folding (whatever you called it)
Example, I have : /etc/rc3.d/S06.folding, which looks like this:

Quote:
#! /bin/sh
/home/rison/fah/fah -smp 24 -bigadv -verbosity 9
I sometimes prefer to have my flags when I execute the program, versus setting it up in the advanced area of the folding program.. easier for making changes on the fly.

Edit #2: you can also make a symbolic link instead of making a batch file. for example you could type this (while in the /etc/rc3.d directory)
Quote:
ln -s /home/rison/fah/fah S06.folding
it does the same damn thing, but you can't have any command switches that way.

Also, i'm using the rc3.d directory as an example - what rc3.d directory is, is the runlevel you boot from. If you're using different boot runlevels on your linux/unix/bsd distro.. you probably know all this stuff already. :)

Last note, is that the # you make the S06, is the order it loads as it's booting. For instance, if you have two files in there S06.something and S08.something-else, than S06 will load first.. and so on.
I have folding@home load very early in my boot sequence, before my network card comes up, or most of the programs, lol.. you may want to put yours as last.. view the directory and add a number to the highest runlevel executable.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.

Last edited by Rison; April 10, 2011 at 05:55 AM.
Old April 10, 2011, 06:46 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Lowfat,Rison, Deadthings and all folders
Great work you people are doing for f@h
I have read through the threads on this one, can you give me the readers digest version on VM Ubuntu Server running the big advantage? Is it worth the efforts or not? Ill just run this on the 980x if it is worth while.
I am trying the new client on the qx6700 with the 5970 and a regular smp and seeing some stability issues with the os, Ill take the overclock off and see if the error driven by the new client or not.
Old April 10, 2011, 09:28 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
Lowfat,Rison, Deadthings and all folders
Great work you people are doing for f@h
I have read through the threads on this one, can you give me the readers digest version on VM Ubuntu Server running the big advantage? Is it worth the efforts or not? Ill just run this on the 980x if it is worth while.
I am trying the new client on the qx6700 with the 5970 and a regular smp and seeing some stability issues with the os, Ill take the overclock off and see if the error driven by the new client or not.
There is a problem running a VMware in your situation, and that is the fact that VMWare only supports max of 8 cores (and it's on a older version, the current version now only supports 4 cores).

So stay in windows or go native linux folding
Old April 11, 2011, 01:26 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charloz24 View Post
There is a problem running a VMware in your situation, and that is the fact that VMWare only supports max of 8 cores (and it's on a older version, the current version now only supports 4 cores).

So stay in windows or go native linux folding
I'd agree with that. My 4075mhz i7 980x is getting 65 - 70K PPD on BigAdv units (other than 2684s) in Ubuntu 10.10 x64 desktop.

The only other option to make full use of cores is Virtual Box from Sun/Oracle and it is very hit and miss in regards to successfully getting it to run properly.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old April 21, 2011, 09:57 AM

My System Specs

So is there an easy way to get folding@home to launch automatically after a reboot? My one machine reboots maybe once a week and I don't feel like finding a more stable OS for it anytime soon.
Old April 21, 2011, 10:07 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
So is there an easy way to get folding@home to launch automatically after a reboot? My one machine reboots maybe once a week and I don't feel like finding a more stable OS for it anytime soon.
Copy the folding link in the startup menu
Old April 21, 2011, 10:08 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

On windows you can do a shortcut and place it in the startup folding in the menu ..
Server system
|I7 3820|Asus P9X79|12G G.Skill 1600Mhz|Noctua NH-D14|Corsair Force 3 120GB|LSI megaRAID 9261 8|RAID5 5X 3TB|Corsair AX650|Fractal Design Arc Midi|

Twitch
Old April 21, 2011, 10:13 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charloz24 View Post
Copy the folding link in the startup menu
I guess I should have been more clear. I meant for Ubuntu.
Old April 21, 2011, 12:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I guess I should have been more clear. I meant for Ubuntu.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ad...SessionStartup

Only way(s) I know of to do that in the GUI, otherwise you're looking at command line. I still don't like command line myself.
Old April 21, 2011, 12:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The Stanford guide should be able to help. I'll try it tonight and see if it works fine under 10.10

Folding@home - LinSMPGuide

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732

Tags
-bigadv , bigadv , clients , f@h , folding , folding@home , linux folding , pande group , stanford