Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 23, 2011, 07:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
I'll keep a close eye on stability and any potential EUEs and let you know if any crop up. Either way, I'll probably end up upgrading my RAM now that DDR3-1600 2x4GB kits can be had on the cheap.
Well, it's been a month, and no lost WUs due to running out of RAM. Looks like I won't be upgrading to 8GB after all.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old March 27, 2011, 12:20 AM

My System Specs

Installed Ubuntu on my working SR-2 today. Install and setup went fine. Installed the 'Kraken' thingie. Only issue is that I can't download any WU's. Yet I can download them perfectly fine on my Windows machine.

EDIT: took off bigadv flag and was finally able to get a unit. Getting around 70k ppd w/ a P6071 while @ 3.7GHz. Seems kinda low.

Last edited by lowfat; March 27, 2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old March 27, 2011, 06:18 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Installed Ubuntu on my working SR-2 today. Install and setup went fine. Installed the 'Kraken' thingie. Only issue is that I can't download any WU's. Yet I can download them perfectly fine on my Windows machine.

EDIT: took off bigadv flag and was finally able to get a unit. Getting around 70k ppd w/ a P6071 while @ 3.7GHz. Seems kinda low.
That seems a bit low to me.

Mine is getting over 90K on those units, which is a bit higher than Windows. I find SMP units on the SR-2 only went faster after the Kraken and installing the CK sources for B.F.S. or Brain Fart Scheduler heh.

Make sure you are turning on NUMA when utilizing the Kraken. This helped my SR-2 get slightly faster times-per-frame than just BFS alone.

You can follow this post to install BFS on a computer that has 24-cores or less. On higher than 24 cores it's a no-no :)

Linux versus Windows - bigadv folding results - Page 13 - [H]ard|Forum

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old March 27, 2011, 09:53 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10e View Post
That seems a bit low to me.

Mine is getting over 90K on those units, which is a bit higher than Windows. I find SMP units on the SR-2 only went faster after the Kraken and installing the CK sources for B.F.S. or Brain Fart Scheduler heh.

Make sure you are turning on NUMA when utilizing the Kraken. This helped my SR-2 get slightly faster times-per-frame than just BFS alone.

You can follow this post to install BFS on a computer that has 24-cores or less. On higher than 24 cores it's a no-no :)

Linux versus Windows - bigadv folding results - Page 13 - [H]ard|Forum
I did follow do what was suggusted in that link. It never said anything about BFS so I had not known that was what I was doing.

Although I did mess up and use EXT4 instead of 3. From what I've been reading it can make a rather large difference for non-bigadv units. So I guess I will reinstall again today.

I am still not able to get any bigadv units.
Old March 27, 2011, 01:22 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Silly question, did you set the workunit size to "big" (or large, whatever it is) and all of that?

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old March 27, 2011, 03:39 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
Silly question, did you set the workunit size to "big" (or large, whatever it is) and all of that?
I believe I did. However after reinstalling all seems well. It just grabbed a P2692.
Old March 28, 2011, 12:00 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I did follow do what was suggusted in that link. It never said anything about BFS so I had not known that was what I was doing.

Although I did mess up and use EXT4 instead of 3. From what I've been reading it can make a rather large difference for non-bigadv units. So I guess I will reinstall again today.

I am still not able to get any bigadv units.
The only thing EXT4 does is make it take a long time to write out the finished work unit. For me EXT3 takes mere seconds while EXT4 took over 45 minutes on a 500GB WD 7200RPM drive.

Stick with EXT3 and all is good

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old March 28, 2011, 12:13 PM

My System Specs

The P2695 I just completed was around 148k PPD with my CPUs @ 3.7GHz. Which is definitely a nice improvement for almost no work.

Is there anything like CPU-Z for Linux?

EDIT: Is there a way to get folding@home to auto start?

Last edited by lowfat; March 28, 2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old April 9, 2011, 09:09 PM

My System Specs

Anyone have any issues w/ stability w/ Ubuntu? I just did 20 hours of LinX stable. Throw in the HDD w/ Ubuntu and it crashes within 2 days.
Old April 10, 2011, 06:31 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

There is a CPU temp /voltage monitoring program in Linux.

The backend is called lm-sensors, the front end is called X-sensors. x-sensors won't work unless you install lm-sensors first.

If you did a base install of the operating system, it probably has lm-sensors installed already. Change to root, and type: 'sensors' (no quotes) in the command window. It probably won't find any sensors on an SR-2 to begin with, that's ok.
In the command window, type: 'sensors-detect', and it will go through the process of detecting any sensors on your motherboard. It's going to prompt you 10-12 times with options like YES/no/skip, just type yes to all of them.

The SR2 uses the module f71882fg-isa-0a00 to monitor it's voltages and temperatures in linux. sensors-detect will ask you to load this module (select yes) then you have to refresh the modules used by your system by using the command: /etc/init.d/module-init-tools start. Default statement = I use Debian, this is the command line for Debian, i'm not quite certain about other distros. If sensors-detect doesn't find the proper module, you will have to load the module manually.. which I cant remember to do off the top of my head.

If you don't have lm-sensors installed, just type:
Quote:
apt-get install lm-sensors
as root, and it will download and install the package automatically. Same goes for x-sensors, it's commonly put in the "start menu" for linux distributions after x-sensors is installed, probably in the "Applications > System Tools" area.

Here's what running lm-sensors shows on my SR-2:
Quote:
f71882fg-isa-0a00
Adapter: ISA adapter
+3.3V: +3.26 V
in1: +0.86 V (max = +2.04 V)
in2: +1.14 V
in3: +1.14 V
in4: +1.14 V
in5: +0.94 V
in6: +1.31 V
3VSB: +3.06 V
Vbat: +3.14 V
fan1: 1495 RPM
fan2: 1087 RPM
fan3: 0 RPM ALARM
fan4: 0 RPM ALARM
temp1: +68.0C (high = +71.0C, hyst = +69.0C)
(crit = +100.0C, hyst = +96.0C) sensor = Intel PECI
temp2: +47.0C (high = +85.0C, hyst = +81.0C)
(crit = +100.0C, hyst = +96.0C) sensor = transistor
temp3: +16.0C (high = +70.0C, hyst = +68.0C)
(crit = +85.0C, hyst = +83.0C) sensor = transistor
Well that was a nice, long winded post to start out Sunday morning.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.

Last edited by Rison; April 10, 2011 at 06:37 AM.

Tags
-bigadv , bigadv , clients , f@h , folding , folding@home , linux folding , pande group , stanford