Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 10, 2011, 10:54 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Folding Amateur Questions

After a long abscence I'm gonna get the folding rig's back up again. (last time I folded was for a contest ). So I'll have the rig in my sig as well as the following comps folding

Athlon II x2 240 @ 3.45 Ghz / IGPU
Mac Pro: 2x 2.8 Quad Xeon (im to lazy to look up the names, but its the xeon version of the Q9550) with 4870
as well as my PS3

So here's my questions:
1. Is it worth folding on the athlon? like will it get any reasonable PPD?
2. Setup folding on two CPU's in OS X, anyone done this? I can't run a virtual linux machine for various reasons
3. GPU folding questions: I just bought a 5870 today from MarcusFox, so it'll be here sometime next week. At that time I will have my 2 5770's free'd up. One of which I am going to put into my Athlon II comp to fold on. And so I'll have an extra laying around. Can I put this in my gaming rig and just run folding on it, but still have the 5870 as the do everything (and part time folder, like at night) and the 5770's purpose is a 100% of the time folder?

Another option I thought of is offering someone in the forums a trade for both my 5770's in exchange for either 2 450's, or a single nvidia card, like a 280 or something. I want PPD, So I don't care about trading down a little bit to GTS 250's or something
Old February 10, 2011, 11:42 PM

My System Specs

Folding@home - Download the Folding@home software application

Download the 6.29.3 SMP installer. Once it is installed go to System Preferences. Then the folding@home preference pane. Go to advanced and add the -smp flag to Extra parameters. You could try adding a -bigadv flag as well but I do not know how well it would do. I guess you can try it once to see if it can complete it within the deadline. You can download a program called inCrease to show start/stop the client if you ever want to pause it for some reason.

The points that the Althon II dual cores is going to be rather small compared to the Mac Pro. Personally I think running SMP clients on anything less than a quad core isn't worth the power it consumes. Same goes w/ ATI videocards. GTS450's are decent cards, tons of people here use them around 8k-14k each depending on WU's. Although I do believe they are mostly around the 8k mark.

PS3 also isn't all that good. About 1000 or so PPD. I wouldn't say it is worth the power it consumes either.
Old February 11, 2011, 12:08 AM
Banned
F@H

as per above, leave the duallie and especially the ps3 offline. the latter will eat watts like no tomorrow.
Old February 11, 2011, 04:18 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I assume you mean the Athlon, when you say "Duallie", dan.
as said, i'd also leave the PS3 and Athlon computer off - not worth the power consumption.

The BST area is a great way to find some used cards, and dump your ATI ones if you're looking to go that route.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old February 11, 2011, 07:30 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Alright so I'll just fold on the 2500k, the 5870, the Mac Pro, and hopefully 2 nvidia cards if I can trade for them

Is the 4870 in the Mac Pro worth folding on?
Old February 11, 2011, 07:39 AM

My System Specs

No ATI card really is worth the power it consumes personally.