Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4, 2011, 07:36 PM

My System Specs

Default Linux install for dedicated folding machine

So I've decided to give Linux a shot to see if I can possibly get more PPD out of my machines. At the suggestion of Dead Things I installed Ubuntu Server, which is a CLI OS, so no pretty GUI or any GUI for that matter.

I was able to install Ubuntu Server after a few attempts. Went to boot to it for the first time I get these errors. Don't know a thing about Linux so if anyone know what is going on I'd appreciate it..

Old February 4, 2011, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Disable ACPI on startup and see if that helps first..

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
Old February 4, 2011, 08:16 PM
Allstar

pciehp = pcie Hot Plug, your server pci e ( or a card on it ) don't support HP and your Ubuntu is expecting one, what is your board ?
Old February 4, 2011, 08:33 PM

My System Specs

The board is an EVGA SR-2.
Old February 4, 2011, 08:35 PM
Banned
F@H

a bit off topic maybe, but does it work well with a client, doesnt have to be ubuntu? :)
Old February 4, 2011, 08:37 PM

My System Specs

I don't care what I use as long as I can fold. I would prefer GUI-less to squeeze every bit of performance out of it though.
Old February 4, 2011, 08:52 PM
Banned
F@H

just saying, since i try whatever s closer on my desk when i have doubts. ubuntu,fedora,mint..the list is long

if that fails, then there's a hardware or perhaps settings issue. in this case,as per above setting probably since windows was

working fine before, right?
Old February 5, 2011, 04:58 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I had issues with fedora, ubuntu and redhat enterprise when I was running linux on my folding machines. Every one would either have kernel issues or some form of stability issues.

The only linux distribution that worked "out of the box" for folding, on all my machines was Debian.
The only reason i'm running win2k3 servers on my folding machines is (1) I have a site license and (2) linux bigadv went down the tubes. Is bigadv for A3 working on linux now?

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old February 5, 2011, 08:08 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
The only reason i'm running win2k3 servers on my folding machines is (1) I have a site license and (2) linux bigadv went down the tubes. Is bigadv for A3 working on linux now?
Supposedly they are just around the corner from working again. And according to Dead Things the regular SMP units are considerably faster (20%+) in Linux.
Old February 5, 2011, 09:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

as far as I know the Linux OS is the Best OS for Number crunching / scientific things also as servers MS is for the average user home PC .the thing is you have to do most things from the CMD line. if you are not to familiar to Linux ( like myself, I just stumble my way through hehe) I advise going to LinuxQuestions.org that site is the best site that I have found for anything Linux. when you post a question it usually gets answered withing 10 mins.